Friday, February 08, 2008

Target is fast, but (sigh) lame.

It was just last week that we were all ranting about Target and its return policy, and already I have a reply from them:


Whatevah, Target. You are no longer my favorite store in all of Tucson. It saddens me that you refused to acknowledge that you have a crap return policy, but I guess you have to be who you are.

On a more uplifting note, we went to the Tucson Children's Museum today. How fun is that? Awesome! I do not know why we haven't been there before! Oh, right. It is downtown, parking is sort of a pain, it ain't cheap, and we have a narrow window between naps.

We pushed that window out, today, folks. We met my sister and her daughter there at about 11am, and ran around exploring for a little more than an hour before we rushed, starving, out the door. The museum was so cool. Lots of stuff for big and little kids to play with: a working train set, a dinosaur room where Kate told me she didn't want the dinosaurs to bite her, a rain forest room where the little ones can climb on padded objects, and our favorite: the kitchen/operating table/baby changing area/grocery store room. That last one is sort of hard to explain, but it was the best part. It was a big room, with a place for moms to sit while the little ones infected themselves with all the gazillions of germs that were certain to be on every surface. After about 20 minutes in there, we hastily wiped them down from head to toe with the provided anti-bacterial wash, and worked our way over to Cafe Poca Cosa.

We each parked, and then I, carrying Claire (and 12 other toddler items) instead of pushing her in the stroller, since I had gotten a sweet parking spot right across the street, stumbled in and found out from the hostess that they would love to accomodate us but they "don't have highchairs or booster seats, is that okay?" Um, no thank you. She directed us to their more casual restaurant "just 2 blocks away!", and I in my state of starvation nodded quickly and called my sister to tell her to head there instead. Ten minutes later we all arrived, by this time slightly frazzled, and found that they did not have highchairs either. Jess had just seen a Bruegger's Bagels on her walk, so we headed out again. Kate was getting weary by this point, which was worrisome since we were downtown in midday traffic, but she held it together long enough for us to get there and have some lunch. She even made it all the way back to the car, walking the whole way. I was pretty impressed. My back is still on fire from carrying Claire, and I think we will all sleep well tonight.

4 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

I LOVE Cafe Poca Cosa!! I would love to hear how their more casual dining experience was. I have not been there nor do I even know where it is!

Elizabeth said...

Okay, that just made me want to boycott Target. JERKS!

Cafe Poca Cosa is my very favorite restaurant in the whole world. Even if they are the most child unfriendly restaurant in the whole world. And I love the Tucson Children's Museum. I especially appreciate the room for kids under four, even though the room always had kids way over four when I was there. Man, Jen, you have good taste! I miss Tucson!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad, but not surprised at the Target response. I did figure out one other way around their stupid return policy, but it requires too much effort on a regular basis. If you have a baby registry, you an return anything listed on it. STUPID, yet again, as you normally don't RETURN the things ON your registry; you return the other things that aren't on it to get what you asked for. However, you can ask for their scanner, scan the item you want to return, wait for the registry to update, print it out and return whatever. I added about 10 things I didn't want to my registry for Isaac just so that I could return them for things I actually needed. I have a friend who keeps a registry open with kids stuff on it and if anyone asks if she's expecting, she just says she's adopting. I don't advocate lying, but I don't advocate stores that treat their customers like crap, either.

Jen said...

Carrie, what a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. I will consider that for later...when I decide I want to shop there again. For now, I'm taking a little break.

And Andrea and Elizabeth - I so want to try Cafe Poca Cosa still. We will, we will! Their casual restaurant is at the corner of Stone and Alameda.