Sunday, February 24, 2008

The old college try

After spending a whole month sleeping in the same room over the summer in Oregon, Tim and I decided to put the girls together here when we got home. Since then, they have probably spent 3 weeks total sleeping in the same room. At first, it was cute. Kate would pester Claire as she tried to sleep, and Claire would laugh for awhile until it wasn't funny anymore, and then she would cry. Then, Claire would just cry when we put her in their room at night together. She would cry and cry and cry until we picked her up and put her in the pack and play in another room. That has to tell you something: she would rather sleep on a glorified piece of cardboard than on a mattress in the same room as her sister?

It started to seem silly, us having 2 cribs and a permanent playpen set up, just for 2 kids, especially when we are trying to make the house look all neat and big. So today we moved them back into separate rooms.

Note the look of slight annoyance on Tim's face. We have taken those cribs apart too many times. No more!

Claire helps Tim put the crib back together again.

Claire's new old room.

Tonight we went to sushi for dinner. On Friday I had gotten it into my mind that I wanted to go out to sushi tonight, preferably preceding a movie, and also with my sister and no children. (Friday was a 1st/2nd/3rd/whatever the hell Friday it was at the squadron bar, and I was going a bit stir crazy home alone with the children.)

The only part of my plan that worked out was the sushi part. Tim looked at me a little skeptically when I told him I wanted to go out to dinner, but gave in. After 3 minutes at the restaurant, I knew it was a mistake. WHY do I always FORGET how difficult it is to go out to eat with children? Kate wanted to play with the water glasses and the soy sauce, and the girls were fighting over the one box of milk that I had in the diaper bag (preparation would have helped a little). Claire started devouring the edamame that I was giving her, and then not long afterwards started regurgitating it. *Mental note taken.* Kate refused to eat the fried rice we got her for dinner, and Claire tried to grab every item off the table and throw it to the floor. Both girls wanted to drink my sake, which I sternly told them, I needed.

But. But! We got the girls bathed and into bed, and both went to sleep within 5 minutes, without a peep. It is now peacefully quiet, and also late. Good night!

3 comments:

Katie said...

That is hilarious that Claire hates sharing a room from such a young age! Funny! Her new old room is so cute!

Sushi sounds really good....

Anonymous said...

ooo...you have to get the girls miso soup and sushi (not the raw stuff) too! People always find it funny up here, in the red meat lovin, veggie hatin, provincial town that I currently call home, that babies actually love healthy food such as sushi! It really is one of their favorite treats! Keep it up and you can have baby food snobs on your hands. I love it that my girls would rather have sushi than a cheesburger! Noelle

Elizabeth said...

"Friday was a 1st/2nd/3rd/whatever the hell Friday it was at the squadron bar, and I was going a bit stir crazy home alone with the children.)" LOL!!!!!!!!!!

This post had LOTS of good information in it. I think you have convinced me 1) to keep them in separate rooms for awhile; 2) to never take my kids to a sushi restaurant; and 3) to do some sort of chair rail painting thing in one of my rooms -- that picture looks great! I would totally buy your house.