Monday, February 04, 2008

I hate HGTV

Why oh WHY does it take a pending move to get me to do things to my house that I would have loved to have done to it when I was actually LIVING in it for some significant period of time?

Take, for example, today's objective: removing clutter. I Hate Clutter. But it is everywhere in my house, and I cannot keep on top of it. Does anyone else have this problem? My GOD. Mostly, I think it's the mail. It does me in on a daily basis. I have sorted through the mail since we've been back from vacation, but only to find birthday cards for Claire and bills that need to be paid. Other than that, there is a pile the size of Starbuck that sneers at me every time I enter the kitchen.

I sometimes watch HGTV, in hopes of figuring out how to declutter my life, and also how to make all of my small spaces trendy and chic. The problem is, ALL of my spaces are small, and I don't think any of them are yet trendy or chic, as they are full of CLUTTER.

Today I am going through a closet (I would love to go through all of them, but somehow I don't think the girls would appreciate this), in hopes of consolidating stuff. I have been through most of our boxes several times in an attempt to get rid of things that we never use, and I think I'm maxed out on giving things away. We really don't have that much stuff; rather, we don't have any storage, so everything looks crammed and messy. But today I hope to cram more into my current boxes so that it will be easier to take these boxes to a storage unit that we will get as soon as we put our house on the market. Because there is NO WAY any sane family would buy our house with it looking the way it does.

Which brings me back to the beginning: why couldn't I have done this a couple of years ago, so that I could have been living clutter-free all this time? Oh, right. Probably about $70 a month for storage space is the reason why.

Oh, and before y'all get in a tizzy about us moving: we don't have orders, and we don't even know for sure that we are going anywhere in the next move cycle. But I'm hedging my bets, and using it as an excuse to de-white trash our house, if that is at all possible.

Stay tuned next for: "Help! Which neutral living room color will help me sell my house?"

6 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

No, I won't even read the rest of this post! You cannot think about leaving yet. Nope.

Katie said...

Oh, I KNOW! I am almost sad that I won't be doing that moving shuffle in another year or so because I LOVE getting rid of half of my possessions (well, not really) every time we move. Now it is just accumulating like mad with no end in sight. I also go through HUGE HGTV runs when it is moving time. I was watching that nonstop when we moved in here and now I haven't watched it in months!

I HATE clutter. I can never, EVER stay on top of it. I bought John this little box at IKEA where he is to put all his clutter. Then, my clutter takes over the entire rest of the house. It is funny, really.

Paint everything camel/taupe/dark beige! :)

Elizabeth said...

Man, if I could figure out what to do with all that mail, I would help you out. Plus, Sam is a security-obsessed packrat, meaning we have TONS of mail-to-be-shredded all over the place. In all our drawers, in both of our cars, in the bathroom, in the den, in the pantry. It drives me insane.

I love the blue. It makes me sad you are going to paint it.

Jen said...

Elizabeth, is your mail really more secure in your car? =)

Not the blue, the green. I love the blue entryway and will keep that, but green in the living room is kind of a love or hate color, and even I am starting to wonder if the green I chose was a bit too 1970s avocado.

Deborah said...

As a fellow clutterbug, I can totally relate - it's an ongoing battle. I have to say that I'm the culprit in this family. It's a sickness, really. Anyway, I wish I had an answer for you. Sometimes I'd secretly love to burn the house down, but that would add a plethera of problems! So I just keep swimming in the piles. (Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...) (LOVE Nemo and Dori). And I love Claire's pics, by the way. AND, I don't want to think about you guys leaving, so I'm not.

Anonymous said...

I would like to "UN" pack and then I'll tackle decluttering. Sorry you had to see the house is such a mess. Quite embarrassing. I hope next time there's a drastic improvement!!