Sunday, February 17, 2008

Come fly with me




Well, okay, I guess that's a bit premature. You really don't want to fly with me for at least another 2-3 more hours of me practicing my landings. But I did get to take flight today, with my instructor Kelly right by my side to remind me about all the things I was forgetting. It was a beautiful day for flying; there is still a little snow on the mountains, and the sky was perfectly blue and clear.

Getting back into the cockpit is not exactly like getting back on a bike. I wish it was that easy, but it's slightly more complex. That's probably why there are so many enthusiastic pilots out there. I did pretty well, minus the first landing ("Pull up! Pull up! Don't forget to look all the way down the runway!"), the third landing ("Ooh, 90kts is pretty good for final...maybe you want some flaps?"), my parking job (yes, I parked in between the lines. You are supposed to park on them), and my engine shutdown. Let's just say that you can't simply turn off the engine with the key, and that's what I did. And I'll never forget again!

The rest of the day was for playing outside: the girls on the swing, and us trying madly to de-trailer park our yard.




5 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

It was such a gorgeous day, it would have been a great day for flying. Glad you got out. We were de-trailer parking our back yard today too!

Elizabeth said...

Jen, you're a rock star! I am so impressed! I have trouble parking my car in my own garage.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got up again! I look forward to the day when I have a chance to fly with you. I'm glad you need more practice time again as I'd be too nervous now, anyway. Not because of you, but because of what happened in OR. By the time I'm ready again, you should be, too, and maybe I can even get to where you are? We'll see!
James is actually home today, so we're attacking many household projects, too, but inside. It's only 22 outside so who cares what my yard looks like!
Any more information on NV vs. HK?

Anonymous said...

I'll only go up if you're practicing stall turns with fog glasses over a foreign military base! :)
Niki

Katie said...

You are so brave to fly in one of those things! I am way too scared!