Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Love lost

Dear Target,
I don't even know how to do this. I know that breaking up via blog is so childish, but I feel like our latest spat was also childish (on your part), and I'm pretty peeved right now. My little Claire got the cutest bathing suit for her birthday, but I'm afraid it won't fit her in a few months when we're actually able to swim outside. I don't have the receipt, as it was a gift, and apparently you no longer give gift receipts with every purchase. But I thought I could at least EXCHANGE it for the next size up. I mean, it has the TAG on it still, which is CLEARLY marked Circo (a brand carried exclusively by you), and it has never been worn. The nice lady at customer service looked me up in your computer system using my driver's license, and noted that I had already used my 2 (TWO!) non-receipt returns/exchanges for the year. I quickly did the math, and came up with the fact that it is still January of this year, and I am pretty certain that I have not returned anything yet in 2008. She pointed to her paper where she had written down two dates:
  1. 1/08/07
  2. 6/24/07

She pointed at the last date and said that she would be glad to accept my return after June 24th of THIS YEAR. So it's not a calendar year thing, nor is it even a within-12-months thing, or I would have been able to return this bathing suit because today is later than January 8th. This makes no sense to me.

So. I called my friend Rae, who gave us the darling bathing suit in lime green and white stripes with the cutest ruffle you ever have seen, and asked her if she had by any chance kept that darned receipt. Maybe it was the tone in my voice, but she started in on a rant. "Oh I KNOW! It is so annoying that they won't let you exchange anything without your license, and you only get 2 per year! I once had to give them my license for a Match Box car return!" She told me she does still have the receipt, because she was concerned that maybe we would need to exchange the gifts, and then she launched into her experience trying to get a gift receipt from said store which does not accept returns without a receipt. She had already been cashed out, and when she looked at her receipt, she noticed there was no gift portion on it. She asked the checker if she could have a gift receipt and he said it was too late! "Just give them the actual receipt." This is not an acceptable answer, Target.

Now. If you are going to require a receipt for such silly things as EXCHANGES for the EXACT SAME ITEM, and people without their receipt may only have 2 of these exchanges per non-calendar year, then PERHAPS you should include a GIFT RECEIPT on EVERY SINGLE DAMN PURCHASE.

I do love you, Target. You have fun things. Your prices are reasonable. You are so close by. Your stores make me happy, and even my oldest daughter loves to go to "the big red ball store". But I think we may need to take a break for awhile, and hope that each other's absence will repair the damage that has been done. Perhaps you should seek therapy. Until then, I will have to drive all the way to the BX, or even to *gah* WalMart. Please make a change for the better.

Sincerely,

The owner of a very cute too-small child's bathing suit

10 comments:

Amie said...

Honestly, you should write them a letter (heck you already wrote it) and MAIL - as in snail - it to them. I swear, I do this all the time and you wouldn't believe the response rate - awesome!

When customers take time to actually find an envelope and a stamp, in this electonic world, it seems to have more power.

Target Corporation
ATTN: Customer Service
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Do it! Then tell us what you get back. :)

Katie said...

You should TOTALLY send this in to them. There is nothing to lost in trying it! I HATE stupid crap like that. I don't understand how it is two per year, but it isn't 12 months? WHAT THE HELL?

joanna said...

I agree completely. That's ridiculous. I think I'll take a break on your behalf for awhile. I'm sure my bank account will appreciate it!

Andrea and Ben said...

What the??? I thought it was per calendar year - ridiculous!!! I noticed today I did not get a gift receipt and thought it was wierd. They always included them on the bottom. Do they really have to count pennies that much that the little extra piece of paper is that valuable to them? Can I use that any more in one sentence?

Lame, but please don't go to walmart. That place is crawling with wierdos. I would constantly be worried for your safety!

Swistle said...

Sigh. I keep having fights with him too, lately.

They used to honor a mislabeled price: if one of their employees labeled an item with a clearance sticker, and it was a mistake, they'd give it to you for the clearance price. Now they won't. They must have changed a bunch of policies, because they're also leaving big pallets of crap in all the aisles, which they used to NEVER do.

Elizabeth said...

Oh Jen, this post just made my day. I HATE, HATE, HATE Target's return policy, too! I don't understand why they are the baby registry mecca. They drive me crazy.

Deborah said...

Don't even get me started with them. I also have a love/hate relationship with the big red ball store. Really, we need another option for great stores.

Jen said...

Okay, girls. I have printed out the post (along with comments) and will put it in the mail to them. I'll let you know what happens!

Anonymous said...

I agree, too. Sorry I was too late to get in on the printing and mailing part. I, and many other friends, have encouraged any new moms we know NOT to register at Target because their return policy is HORRID and ridiculous!! I think taking a break from them is worth it. Wal-mart can be a little scary, but also beware, they just recently totally changed their return policy and it's almost as bad! Can't wait to hear if they acknowledge your letter!

M&Co. said...

My Target does give give receipts for EVER purchases. Which I think is really stupid when I'm buying TP and tampons. Like I'm going to return THOSE.