Wednesday, February 27, 2008

That's My Girl!

Yes ladies and gentlemen, she's hot, she takes care of two kids, she flies and she stills finds time to remodel the house while watching HGTV and blog with careless abandon.


Yes, I am a lucky man. Lucky she said "Yes" when I bought her a big ring to try to take the sting out of moving from Seattle to North Carolina. Lucky I didn't drop the ring off the top of the Space Needle, while stumbling through my little speech as crowds of tourists kept bustling by, interrupting. I had to start over a few times...



Well, we hadn't managed to dress up and go out in a while, and we have a history of planning big events (birthday, anniversary) and having the babysitter cancel at the last minute. Saturday was no different. We had tickets for the big Dining Out, and 2 hours before cocktail hour our babysitter called from Phoenix in a traffic jam. Through sheer will power and a dozen phone calls, Jennifer managed to get the babysitter all the way to our house where we rapidly turned over the kids to him and changed clothes. We bolted to the Dining Out arriving a mere 3 minutes before the event started.


The Dining Out began with a normal level of pomp and decorum, but I knew we were with the right crowd when the bread rolls started flying across the room (thanks Erin and Wendy). The grog bowl had opened, and my bride decided that she knew enough about this sort of thing that she needed to reward me for getting dressed in 69 seconds. Spontaneously, she arose and, taking the role generally reserved for military members, proceeded to inform the room that I in fact was wearing a black bow tie instead of a blue one. This being such a heinous breach of etiquette, I was sent to the grog bowl by my own bride as punishment.





Obviously concerned for my well-being as I approached the toilet bowl of foul brew, my wife grabbed the camera... While the early pictures did not turn out, I managed to keep ending up back at the grog for various indiscretions - offering more opportunities for photos.

Proudly, my squadron came out of the event as winners of the Thompson Trophy and drainers of the grog bowl (twice).


Everyone had fun, Jen looked beautiful, the kids survived without traumatizing the babysitter, and my wife became an inspiration for her audacity in sending her own husband to the grog.


I'll drink to that!


Tim

3 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Ahhhh, Tim, you are good!!! I love this post. I am glad the event was fun, they can be hit and miss!

Elizabeth said...

Awwww!!!

I LOVE that you sent him to the grog bowl! I would be worried that I would then have to be the DD.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jen!! I love that you sent Tim to the grog bowl! That is awesome!!! Glad you guys had fun and you both looked very nice! Gotta love those military functions!!! I get the chills just thinking about that grog bowl! YUCK!!!!!

Heather