Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Consumers Day!

I think Valentine's Day is sort of silly, as you might could tell from the title of this post. Don't get me wrong: I'm not against love or roses or heaven forbid CHOCOLATES, but to pile them all up on one particular day in the year when the prices of such things are sure to be THROUGH THE ROOF, that seems silly. I did get Tim a card, and a small gift, and I even buckled and got Kate a chocolate heart from See's which she'll get to eat tonight. But hearts and all that crap, ugh. Maybe that's my problem: I can't stand heart-shaped stuff. And red and pink together? Well, only on a very cute baby.

This morning I went to the gem show with my friend Erin. Whooooboy! It was like shopping at Namdaemun in Korea, but with better parking and it didn't smell like fish. I got all kinds of fun things: gifts for friends and family, a ring and some earrings for myself, and some pearls to make a necklace for my sister-in-law, Sheila, who did not get one from me when we went to China. I'm pretty sure some of those Beijing vendors were there today, selling their wares to Americans from all over this country.

It's super windy today; a storm is blowing in and they say there will be a foot of snow tomorrow morning above 4000' and maybe even snow here in town.

Tonight we'll have a regular dinner and maybe some wine, followed by a chocolate heart for Kate. What will you be doing?

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I know it's overcommercialized and all, but there is nothing better than fresh flowers in the house. And thoughtful gestures. So I like the day.

Sam won't be home until way late, so it's just me, the kids, the dog, and some Reese's Peanut Butter hearts. Wine sounds like a good idea, too! :)

Andrea and Ben said...

I cannot believe you went to the gem show today! I love that event - I went twice this year!

Ben is in the tower until 11pm, so I will be drinking a glass of NA wine by my lonesome and most likely eating take out.

Deborah said...

MMmmmmm... Reese's... But alas, none here. We've agreed to settle for takeout tonight as it will be too crowded to eat out anywhere (we think), and we don't want to cook. We've also agreed to celebrate our "Valentine's Day" on a different day, like one of the days when my Mom comes out for a visit and can watch Grace for us. Yippee!
As for Valentine's Day itself, I don't mind it - it's a fun excuse for romance and fun for kids, but WAY too commercialized, just like most holidays.
Gem show! I tried going one year, but mistook the rock/mineral show for it and was terribly dissappointed. I wish it had been the gem show. ha! Hope you had fun!

Anonymous said...

We're weird, thanks to my dad starting a new tradition years ago when my brother and I were little. The Valentine Skunk visits our house each year in Grandpa's memory! He was a huge joker and he always teased us that there was a Christmas Chicken, an Easter Pig, and a Valentine Skunk. He leaves treats and gifts in your dirty laundry, by the way! So, that's how we'll celebrate. With the kids searching all the dirty clothes bins in the house, looking for skunks - signs that that's where he's left a gift.

Also, even though I wish it would happen just because, I love that James is usually motivated to buy a card and write down some things that are very precious and might not get said as often as they should!

I didn't shop for James, so I'll be making him a big steak dinner, mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits, and a couple of desserts!