Saturday, February 02, 2008

What's for dinner?

I don't know what we used to eat for dinner. I know that sounds a little crazy, but consider this: we were sick from Thanksgiving until Christmas, and I think we ate soup or pancakes on a regular basis. Then it was Christmas and New Years, with fancy meals that I cannot duplicate throughout the year. Not long after that, we took a vacation to visit family. That vacation was actually very useful in helping me figure out new and exciting things to eat. For instance, we are having Carrie's chicken bake tonight, with potatoes and carrot souffle. Tabitha introduced us to flank steak, which we hadn't eaten since probably before the last time we got sick. I don't know what happens, but whenever we move, have a long vacation, or are sick for any period of time, I completely forget what to make for dinner. Weird, huh? As a result, I think we have been eating a lot of fish sticks, macaroni and cheese, with a frozen crock pot meal here and there to shake it up. There you go: I don't even know what we've been eating for the past 2 weeks! It's terrible. In my defense, Tim's been working like it's tax season lately, so he hasn't been around much to inspire my meals. And the children suffer. Sigh.

I know at one time I used to make Katie's chicken curry (yum), and we ate a lot of quesadillas. I also made Joanna's southwest chicken about once a week because it is so delish. Beyond that, I am at a loss. What's for dinner at your house?

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm in your same boat. Poor Becca has had pizza THREE TIMES this week for dinner. It is a well balanced meal, right?

I love Joanna's black bean chicken! Try that one! I haven't made anything good in a long time.

Oh! Except this, and it is EASY. Cook some rice (I use two boil-in-a-bags). Dump it in a 9x13 pan, add a can of cream of chicken soup, a lot of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (best if it is actually hand-shredded and not purchased that way), a lot of curry powder (what is it with me and curry?) and then bake it. You could even throw some chopped up chicken in there. We usually eat it with chicken (from the foreman grill). YUM. Our whole family loves it! Very creamy and comforting!

Elizabeth said...

I am bad at this, too. We eat the same things all the time. Actually rice and beans almost every night.

I got a panini maker recently and have been making panini with mozzarella, tomato, and fresh basil. It's pretty good and Catherine seems to like it. I get the ciabatta from Costco -- it seems to freeze and defrost pretty well.

We also make Carrie Vitt's black bean quesadillas -- or at least we used to when we lived by Trader Joe's. Take a can of black beans and put them in the food processor with some fresh garlic and a little bit of lime juice. Spread the bean mixture and cheese on those sun dried tomato and habanero tortillas they sell at Trader Joe's.

Anonymous said...

I just e-mailed you that Chicken Cheddar Soup that we like. Let me know if you try it. We also have taco salad or soft tacos a lot - the kids love them. I try to add corn and black beans to the salad, too. We've been so sick for so long, too, that I've also forgotten a lot. Hope the chicken recipe turned out for you!