Friday, April 28, 2006

food for thought

Interesting:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/26/ING3PHRU681.DTL

In other news, Kate is now holding herself up on toys and furniture. Heart...seizing...up...ack. She has this little push toy lawnmower sort of thing that Aunt Buji got her, and she can now walk with it, with some help. If we hold onto the base so she doesn't push it too fast, she can walk with it. And I think we're going to have to lower the crib mattress this weekend because she keeps getting into the crawling stance and I'm afraid she's going to pull herself up on the rails and go over the side.

Yesterday I got an email from Tim that let me know that life as I know it can change very quickly, and you've got to be ready to make decisions. Battle Creek ANG is hiring a couple of full-time pilots. They'll be moving to Selfridge ANG base in the next couple of years. Do I want to live in Michigan? Not particularly, but you've always gotta be able to consider what is next. For now, I'll enjoy my time here in AZ. Today it's supposed to be 72...brrr! But it's going to be in the 90s by Sunday. Quite a jump in temperatures in a couple of days.

12 comments:

Heather said...

Jen,
I have heard the Selfridge has awesome housing for their people. When we were supposed to go to Warren, MI instead of Huntsville, AL they were going to allow us to live there. Would have been nice! Right on a lake apparently. Good luck with those decisions. I know they can be difficult sometimes!!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Really cold winters is the only bad part. Summers in that area are only slightly more unpleasant than Tucson. More rain of course and the humidity, but that might be less being right on the lake.

Looks like I'll get to NOT see you just as often there as Tucson. :-)

Take care and Love YOU Guys, Uncle Bob.

P.S., can't you find a pair of shoes the right size for that girl?

Jen said...

Well, I doubt we'll move there. It's mostly just a lesson for me in thinking that I know what the future holds. Spending a lot of summers there in MI when I was growing up, I always thought the weather was horrible. But after a few years in NC, MI is NICE. Winters still suck, though. =) Now Tucson winters, those are fabulous. Get a load down here and we'll go to dinner again!

Anonymous said...

Oh! What does "full time pilots" mean?

Uncle BOB

Jen said...

With the guard and reserves, you get hired on full- or part-time, as I understand it. A lot of guys we know are getting out of active duty and going to the reserves part-time. But that's not really enough to live on, so getting a full-time slot is key, and they are kind of rare, at least lately.

Anonymous said...

Dinner sounds good. I'm still trying. May be that way Sunday after delivery in Vista, CA. Don't hold your breath though. Like me...you'll get tired of turning blue.
Uncle Bob

Anonymous said...

Career advancement would be harder in reserves? I thought Tim was shooting for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff....or something.
Uncle Bob

Jen said...

Ha! Chairman. I'll tell him you said that. He's just surprised he's made it past Captain. I'll be interested to see if he stays in long enough to make LTC. I don't really know about career advancement. The guard and reserves are kind of weird - a totally different bird. The pay scale is different, the bennies are different, the advancement is probably different. But once you get a guard assignment, you pretty much stay put there unless they move the base. Which could be nice, if we liked the location. That's another reason we're not super excited about Battle Creek - neither of us saw ourselves living in MI for the long term.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you. The only reason Florida and Arizona have as many people as they do is because Michigan exists. If your going for a permenant Reserve station, wait for something in the Great Northwest.
I know, wishful thinking. How about Las Vegas. I love that place. North Central Texas is nice too. You just got to learn to talk funny, kind of like N.Carolina.
Uncle Bob

Jen said...

Yeah, we're waiting for a spot to open up at Boise. That's about the only A-10 ANG base that we love. He'd have to fly a different plane for any other great locations. K-Falls has F-15s, but he doesn't fly those...

Anonymous said...

Boise is good. I go through Boise all the time.....at least until you move there. :-(
Uncle Bob

Anonymous said...

You, Tim and that beautiful baby have a great night. Oh! If your Star Wars fans check out:
http://movies.aol.com/short_film_festival?defaultItem=1462586

good Night! Uncle Bob