Thursday, April 13, 2006

ack, i think it's starting already

It's 95 today. Man. Somehow you forget just how hot it can get here (and I think 95 is hot?! Just me wait until it's 105, or 115! Yeehaw.) And in the summer months, you forget how cold it gets in the winter. It couldn't possibly snow here, could it? I seem to have a short-term memory, which will serve me well when I decide to give birth to another baby, move back to the Pacific Northwest (it can't rain that much there), get my instrument pilot rating, or any of the other random things that just aren't sane. That pool cover is working, though. The top layer of water feels like a bath tub! Stir it up and it gets a little colder, but give me some yardwork in this heat and I'll be jumping in in no time.

That wine-tasting party we went to last weekend is another example of forgetfulness, I think. All of us at the party met in Korea. And we all agreed that we enjoyed our time there. I mean, I liked Korea quite a bit, but there were certainly times where I was done and ready to come back to the good ole USofA. For instance, when I was flying. When I got here to Tucson and started flying with Kelly, my instructor, I laughed to find out that I had more actual instrument time than she did! She has like 5000 hours! My first flight in Korea logged me .3 hours of instruments, I think. Good old Songtan. Living there was fun, but flying there was a very unique experience.

I'm attaching some photos of flight over Korea, so that those of you who are pilots, can see why I was freaked out to do a solo cross-country to Camp Page which is on the DMZ. "You can't miss it," said my instructor. "But if I do?!" Getting shot down over North Korea was not my idea of how to spend your time wisely in Korea.

The photo way up top is Osan AB.

The photo above is a bridge. Can ya see it? Can ya?

The photo to the right is rice paddies in May.










The photo to the left is the area west of base. This is VFR, folks. Actually, maybe this was SVFR, from my first flight. Can't remember.

So when it gets too stinkin hot here for my brain to function, I need to remind myself of the positives: bad visibility here is 10,000 scattered, 10 miles vis. And the heat is why we got a pool.

A blog posting wouldn't be complete without a picture of baby girl, so here ya go. Addicts!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Ooooohhhhh. She is so cute (and that lady bug dress is to die for). And Korea is so NOT cute. Or to die for. Ugh. That makes me remember how nasty it was there!!!

Anonymous said...

Jen...
It has been great to hear from you! I'm so jealous...its like 30 here in Germany right now! I would love to see the sunshine about now. Well, Kate sure is a cutie. I love the blog...I'm so nosy, its nice to know what's going on!!! Take care...Emily Case

Jen said...

30 is cold! Tara said they were going to the Canary Islands for Easter to get some sun. Sounds like fun!