Thursday, January 11, 2007

Done

I'm done with the base pediatricians. I'd had good experiences up until this last illness, but after yesterday's appointment we are through. As soon as Kate wakes up from her nap, we're off to the TriCare office to turn in our request for off-base medical for the kids. There has been a ton of turnover in the peds unit over the past several months for some reason, and my old doctors PCSd. We are now left with a few....how shall I say it nicely?....questionable medical professionals (?), and have had no continuity lately. For those who have had good experiences recently, good on you. Us, not so much.

Yesterday's doctor I could barely understand. Very thick accent. He looked at Kate's rash and said that it was just viral. Um, is that why it started after she began her last medication you guys prescribed? Oh. He paused and said he should probably look at her chart. Which he didn't have. "Let me go get that, I'll be right back." Looks at chart. "We really need to get the results of her urinalysis before I can make a diagnosis." Me: "You should already have it; it was here yesterday. The hospital faxed it to you." Him: "No, I don't have it. Let me fax the hospital. I'll be right back." For the love of God, Tim went through that the day before with Kate's actual pediatrician. Fifteen minutes later, and pushing very close to Kate's naptime, he came back declaring that she did have a UTI. Some typing on the computer. "You can go home if you want. Do you live on base? No? Oh, then maybe you should wait here. I'll prescribe this medicine to her. It does not taste good, so you might want to mix it with food or drink, or get it at Walgreens so they can put flavoring in it." Yeah, like Kate's going to dig that. Finally, after more back and forth, the doctor yet again leaving the room for what I don't know, I wandered down the hall with Kate in search of him. "Is it okay if we leave now? She's exhausted. My husband will pick up the prescription." Sure, he tells me.

Tim brings home the meds and I start reading the sheet of info they give you. Here are my favorites:
  • (some) side effects: nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, headache, dizziness
  • possible side effects you should notify your doctor about: eye pain, vision changes, mental/mood changes, severe headaches
  • seek immediate medical attention if any of the following rare but very serious side effects occur: numbness/tingling of the hands/feet, unusual muscle weakness
  • this medication may rarely cause very serious (possibly fatal) lung problems

This is just a small excerpt of the list of craziness that could happen if you take this medication. Ask me how you're supposed to tell if a 15-month old has any of these side effects. Needless to say, we put her back on amoxicillin and will be pressing for an appointment with her new pediatrician asap. I think I would like a 4th opinion.

Other than that, things are great. Kate's getting better (we think), it's been nice and warm, and I've gotten lots of little things done that I wanted to accomplish before the baby is born. Hopefully the next post will be more cheerful! And maybe I'll even break out the camera again so you can see the darling Kate.

3 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

It was good talking to you.....though I am not convinced you don't need anything :0) Maybe some spicy food to convince new little one it is time to come out!!!

Elizabeth said...

OMG! I am traumatized by your experience -- I'm so glad I have Catherine on tricare standard. Let me know if you need a referral for a good pediatrician. Mine takes tricare standard, with no co-pay, and I really like her. Is Kate feeling any better? I can't believe you are going through all this at 37 weeks pregnant!

Jen said...

Kate is doing much better - thank God! I took the paperwork in yesterday and they switched her over immediately. I called her new doc and we have an appointment on Monday.

Hope you are all feeling better, Elizabeth!

Thanks for calling, Andrea.