Friday, January 30, 2009

Stolen from Facebook

Just because it's fun:

25 Random Things About Me

Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about yourself.

1. I say I want to live somewhere with all 4 seasons, but I think I might be miserable if it was less than 50* for any significant amount of time. (But I still harbor dreams of living in Boise.)

2. I love going out to eat; it's just so much EASIER. But it's usually more fun if the kids are elsewhere!

3. I am due with our last baby in mid-April, but hope the baby is slightly early, because I don't really like being pregnant.

4. I have never been more than a few thousand dollars in debt (besides a mortgage). The thought of owing money totally freaks me out.

5. I am supposed to run a half-marathon in December. I am anxious and excited about it.

6. I used to race sailboats when I lived in Seattle, and also in North Carolina. Thistle class. LOTS of fun.

7. We are getting a new car next week! This will be my first new car ever.

8. One of the sad things about this is that I will no longer have my 5-speed Subaru. I love my 5-speed.

9. I met my husband at an AFROTC conference when I was 19, but we didn't officially start dating (the first time) until I was about 25 and he was living in Idaho. I was living in Seattle at the time, and I felt that the distance wasn't so great that we couldn't date. Also, I found out how much fun dating him was, and I was hooked.

10. Until he went to pilot training in Texas and we stopped seeing each other, because I refused to move from Seattle to Texas, or date long-distance through pilot training. Once he moved to Arizona, we began dating again. Wow, was I an opportunistic dater or what?

11. We got engaged 6 months later, and moved to North Carolina. I was 27 when we got married.

12. I got stung by a bark scorpion when we lived in Arizona. It hurt like blazes, literally, for 36 hours.

13. I climbed Mt. Adams in Washington state in the late 1990s. It is 12,281', and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I carried my ski gear up the mountain and skied down.

14. I took tap, ballet and jazz dance lessons for years as a child/teenager. After college, I took years of swing dancing lessons, with some salsa lessons thrown in. I love to dance.

15. I miss being able to drink red wine with dinner.

16. I have lived in South Korea (with the military) and London (without), and I hope to live in Europe someday.

17. I am a closet (okay, I guess it's not that secret) sci-fi fan.

18. I love it when my daughters cuddle up with me. I especially love their hugs.

19. I used to love to ski and snowboard, but I don't know if I do anymore: it's so damn cold. I hope to try it again when the kids are a little older.

20. I got my private pilot's license when I was 6 months pregnant with Kate. I have not been able to fly much since, although I would like to. I love it, and the weather here is perfect for it. Much better than Korea, where I began flying. I had enough hours to test in Korea, but after my "practice test session" with Mr. Cho, the only FAA examiner on the peninsula, I was in tears and thought I would never get my license. After we moved to Arizona, I had a few refresher lessons (including a repeat long cross-country since my one in Korea didn't count) and passed the FAA exam with flying colors. Take that, Mr. Cho!

21. Two of my favorite places in the world are Queenstown, New Zealand, and Hong Kong.

22. I have no idea what I am going to do for work when the kids go to school. This sort of stresses me out, but I'm trying to enjoy my time home with the kids as much as possible.

23. I have worked in finance for most of my adult life, although my degree is in International Studies.

24. I am pretty sure the word "no" comes out of my mouth a bazillion times a day.

25. I love to cook, although I don't have much time for it these days. I would like to become a better chef, and would love to take cake decorating classes.

Now, show me some love, and tell me a little about your 25 random things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you really want our 25 random things?

1) I'm a TERRIBLE procrastinator. Right now, I'm probably only doing this because I have a huge stack of midterm exams that I should be grading...

2) I love water. Sailing, kayaking, rafting, floating, bathing, listening, skiing. I love water.

3) Boats. I had 6 boats: 2 sailboats, a canoe, and three kayaks. I had to downsize to 2 when I moved to Corvallis.

4) I teach engineering at OSU. I used to teach in the community college system. Community colleges are one of the most undervalued resources in our communities.

5) I hate snide comments about community colleges. I hate that they imply CC students are only there because they have no choice. SO untrue.

6) I bought my first house at 27. Lakefront with a view of Mt. Hood. I love my house more than I really should love something material. I now own a house and a condo.

7) I hate admitting to myself that I would rather not be single. I have a great life and I'm happy. But, I want what my parents have: 43 years of love, respect, trust and companionship.

8) I traveled in the Soviet Union. Yep, the one that no longer exists. Went to Leningrad, remember Leningrad?

9) Speaking of random places to travel, I've been to Red Square, Tianamen Square, and Panmunjong.

10) I consider myself one of the most fortunate people to have ever lived.

11) I'm running the GRAND CANYON in August. By running, I mean rafting. YEAH! 16 days.

12) I spent 10 days (self support) sea kayaking through the San Juan and Gulf Islands. Paddled from Bellingham to Canada and back. Raccoons stole my water. I'd love to do more long sea kayak trips.

13) I spent 10 days rafting the Franklin River in Tasmania, and have rafted the most remote river in the lower 48 (Owyhee in E Oregon). Am planning a rafting trip in Chile.

14) I love Glacier NP.

15) I have two cats. Thinking about getting a dog.

16) I need a new car, but I don't want to spend the money. I'd rather drive a beater car than spend money.

17) Most guys that I've dated spend more time on their hair and wardrobes than I do - even the bald ones. What's up with that?

18) I really really really want to have a great veggie garden. I hate weeding...

19) I love to cook. Probably because I love to eat. I'm a damn good cook.

20) I worry that I'll always think of myself as a fat person, even though I'm thin. I've never really been fat, either, just a chubby adolescent. (thanks, mom)

21) My father's a saint. That's not really about me.

22) I have excellent credit.

23) I am SUCH a catch. I have no idea why noone wants to catch me. Probably has something to do with a picture. Okay, I'm going to tell you about a picture. It was my cousin's wedding, I was 5. I was sitting in the middle of a flower patch, eating my cake. The photographer caught me and tried to snap a picture. I caught him and gave him the NASTIEST scowl. That's what we have a picture of - me scowling, very nasty. I don't know that I'm always someone who looks welcoming and easy to approach.

24) I dumped a boyfriend in Venice. VENICE! You know, gondolas, italian men in funny pants singing love songs... It had to be done.

25) I want to live in another country for awhile.

Niki