Sunday, January 25, 2009

The party

The house is quiet, and the kids are asleep. I was pretty sure they were never going to calm down after the gobs of sugar they ingested over the course of 2 hours the festivities this afternoon, but apparently they exhausted themselves. And us.

The party went really well; the kids were fairly well-behaved, and they all played together nicely, allowing the adults to talk together for at least a minute at a time. Claire wanted panda bear cupcakes, and they were a huge hit with the kids.

I put 2 candles on her cupcake and lit them; she blew them out before we could start singing. I re-lit them, and she blew them out. Once they were lit again and we had finished singing, she refused to blow them out. After a good minute of cajoling Claire, Kate came to the rescue, along with several of her friends.


Some of the uncouth bears might be flipping off future eaters, but it's hard to say with pandas.

There was surprisingly little fighting over presents, although Claire did not get to open many of them by herself.

MIA frosting, after Claire realized some of her friends did not consume theirs.

Presents!

The play kitchen from hell: OMG there must be 1,000,000 pieces.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You did not make those cupcakes. Did you? Seriously? Those are AWESOME!

Looks like a successful party. You look great, btw!

Also, since I'm rug shopping...I love yours. Where is it from?

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are SOOO cute. Especially the one with attitude. :)
Looks like fun!
Is that a box of toy tools that Tim has open next to the TV?
I am sooo craving a cupcake right now.
Niki

Jen said...

Katie - yes, I made them. They were easy, but very time-consuming. Huge hit, though. The rug: Iran, circa 1944. ;-)

Niki - it was fun! And, yes, that is a box of wooden tools Tim appears to be using. Maybe that's why it took so long to put that thing together. I still have cupcakes, if you would like to visit and taste some.

Elizabeth said...

You are ridiculous. Seriously.

Let me know how the kitchen works out. I'm on the fence about getting one for Catherine's birthday. I worry that it's a toy that is so popular at other people's houses, but sits in our playroom unused.

Carrie S said...

The cupcakes are adorable! Where did you get the idea and how did the lion get nixed?

Jen said...

Carrie - I got a book, Hello, Cupcake , which gives instructions and provides lots of ideas. The cakes are "easy", but time-consuming. After I made the lions, she decided she wanted panda bears. Whatev. They were cute!