Sunday, January 04, 2009

2009

Grump.

Freakishly large snowmen made out of flowers.


Princess Kate at the Bellagio Conservatory.


We began the New Year the way every parent hopes to: with a late arrival home, and an obscene bedtime for the children. You know you're in for pain the next day when you can hear the kids still whimpering at 10:30pm. The next morning, they awoke bright and early, and seemed to be in decent moods, so we took them to the Bellagio. They loved it. So did I: the Bellagio Conservatory is one of my absolute favorite places in Las Vegas.

Since then, it's been non-stop college football and car shopping. Sounds fun, right? Meh. The games have been somewhat lame, in my opinion, and the car shopping. OMG, what a pain in the ass! The research! The endless opinions of those who supposedly own the vehicles and are rating them online! The dragging of small children to car dealerships! I think the salesmen eyed us with dread every time we walked into a showroom. Have you seen the damage two young ones can do to a vehicle in mere minutes? They have. But, it was great fun seeing my little girls behind the wheel of a red Saturn Sky (convertible with doors that open up).

It seems like we've been at it forever days, but we only test-drove yesterday. And we only drove 2 cars, at that. We looked at the Hyundai Vera Cruz, but the batteries were dead on the two that were on the lot (?), so we left and went to Mazda where we drove a CX-9. Nice, nice, nice. Loved it. From there it was meltdown city, so we took the children home for a nap. Then, because we like to torture them, we went back out to drive the Saturn Outlook. Nice, as well, but in different ways. And because you don't really care about our car-shopping experience, I'll just end there. But, do you have a vehicle with a 3rd row? If so, what is it, and do you love it? Hate it? Why? Please share.

Also, did you make a list of New Year's resolutions? I only have a couple so far:
1. Have a baby. (cheater)
2. Lose weight. (cheater!)
3. Go downtown at least once a month, preferably with the
children, but also sometimes without them, because it's nice to have a chance to
look around at your surroundings without yelling at someone to "come back here
right now or I'll put you in the stroller!".
4. Begin running again after the baby is born.
5. Find more creative ways to play with the children.
What are your resolutions?

2 comments:

Katie said...

I really want a third row seat crossover as well. So I'll be paying attention if anyone has anything good to say. Consumer Reports liked the GMC Acadia....it looks nice!

GREAT photos in the conservatory! Your resolutions sound good!

Elizabeth said...

You look SO beautiful, Jen. And I LOVE that picture up on top of your blog.

I am fascinated by your car shopping experience and want more details. What? I can just E-MAIL or CALL you if I need to know more info? Okay.

I love your new year's resolutions and think I will just adopt them as my own. Except the have a baby one. This might be the first time in my life that I am not planning on copying you.

Have you read "Unplugged Play"? It's worth *gasp* buying a copy.