Monday, January 05, 2009

Oh, you WANT to hear about car stuff

Okay then! If you've clicked on this entry by accident, move right along, but know that I'll likely be back to posting about silly kid tricks in no time.

Due to the pending due date of our third child, we need a new car. Me, I'm not really the mini-van type. I remember back in the 80s when my parents were shopping for a new car. It came down to the Mercury Sable station wagon or a mini-van, and I vehemently voted against the mini-van. Don't get me wrong; the Honda Odyssey is a wonderful machine (as are others, I'm sure), and there are many positive aspects to having a mini-van. But I just don't really want one at this point. So, crossover or large SUV it is. And I'm also not that into the large SUV, so we I have come up with a list of about 10 acceptable crossovers. Would you like to see the list?

  1. Acura MDX (originally my favorite. Love love love.)

  2. Hyundai Veracruz

  3. Ford Taurus X

  4. Mazda CX-9

  5. Mitsubishi Outlander

  6. Toyota Highlander

  7. GMC Acadia

  8. Saturn Outlook (the Acadia, Outlook, Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse are all pretty much the same vehicle, supposedly, although I think some of them look quite different than one another)

  9. Honda Pilot

  10. Honda Odyssey

  11. Toyota Sienna

Warning: geek-out mode now activated. I printed out the Consumer Reports sheets on all of them, and we went shopping. All of the cars, except the Saturn Outlook and look-alikes, are CR-recommended. Which totally bummed me out (and also confused me to no end), because I LOVE the Saturn Outlook. CR offers some wonderful opinions, but I don't always understand how they arrive at their conclusions. For instance, they give the Outlook a 75 and don't recommend it, but the CX-9 gets a 76 and a 'CR Recommended' rating. Wha?

We drove two, like I mentioned before, and liked both of them. The Mazda CX-9 is more luxury-vehicle than the Saturn Outlook. This surprised me, in that I didn't expect Mazda to be equated with luxury. When I think of Mazda, I think of the Miata and the RX-7, 80s throw-backs. But the CX-9 was really, really nice. Of course, it helps to drive the very highest of the high-end models, you know? But the leather seats: SO comfortable (and the heated leather seats: a wonderful experience for my tush on that chilly day). Lots of adjustments and extras and comfort features that I was not expecting (bluetooth enabled so you can hook up your phone to the car, voice-command navigation, tilt-adjustable headlights!), and the best part: the ease of moving the second row of seats to get to the 3rd row. You could do it with one hand. I would prefer captains chairs in the 2nd row, but you have to get to the bigger SUVs for that.

The Outlook had captains chairs in the 2nd row, which I loved. The captains chairs also rolled forward for even easier access to the 3rd row. All rows were surprisingly comfortable (as they were in the CX-9), with enough leg-room even for Tim. The Outlook drove more like a truck, and had less of a luxury feel as a result. But it handled well, and I liked it quite a bit.

Next weekend: Acura and hopefully the Honda Pilot, as these are the last two in my top-tier. I have a feeling that I will love everything about the Acura except the 3rd row (the vehicle is almost a full foot shorter than the CX-9 and the Outlook, so how can it possibly have as much leg room?).

Now, on a totally unrelated note, I am irrationally discouraged by the fact that my fat jeans are saran-wrap tight and that I am left with the choice between maternity pants and stretch pants. I am glad that it is winter and that I can get away with wearing my comfy velour track suit pants for the next couple of months, but am sad for the loss of my low-rise Old Navy jeans. I know I'm almost 26 weeks, and that maternity pants were unavoidable, but I still grieve.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ummm... I switched to maternity pants somewhere around TEN WEEKS. I do not even WANT to hear you complain about 26 weeks. Your baby is practically here! It needs more room, dammit! :) Don't worry...this time next year you'll be considering moving back into your skinny jeans!

Interesting about the mazda/saturn dilemma. Both cars LOOK really cute!

Jen said...

Ohhhhh, don't get me wrong. I have had the OPTION of wearing maternity pants since like August, but my SIZE 10 Old Navy pants have saved me from that misery nearly every day. I am seriously considering trying to find some in a size 12...I hate maternity pants!

Carrie S said...

26 weeks and complaining about maternity pants - come on! "Unavoidable" is the key word when you want to get pregnant and have a baby! I also hate maternity pants, but have worn them at home, already!!, on a few occasions. I'm also just trying to stay in my larger pants as long as possible, so I do understand, but 26 weeks!! Especially since you have a history of getting smaller with every baby afterwards, I think this is a small price to pay for a short time!

Elizabeth said...

Still 26 weeks! I don't care what size, I am way in awe. Especially with how big you SAY your belly is (although I do remember you having a very pointy belly with Claire).

I made Sam read this post and he was so impressed with your research.