Monday, October 16, 2006

pumpkins




We went to Apple Annie's orchard in Willcox yesterday with Dana, John and Eric to pick pumpkins. It was a bit of a blustery, overcast day, so Kate got to wear her mittens again. We had lunch first at the orchard - burgers, beans and pie - and then headed to the pumpkin patch to find a nice pumpkin. Kate had never seen a field of pumpkins before. I'm not sure I had either, for that matter. As we were getting on the hay wagon to ride to the pumpkin patch, I commented to Tim that this was Kate's first hay ride. Then I realized that it was probably mine, too. Tim just smiled. "Not your first, right?" Nope. I'm pretty sure that's how he rode to school as a boy. ;-) Aah, growing up in a small town.


It's a good thing I wore boots, Mama!


We wandered around the pumpkin patch in search of the perfect pumpkin. We didn't find it, but we found one suitable enough for our front porch. Kate thought it was fun to play the pumpkin drum. She also liked picking up the rocks and dirt in the field. She didn't like the little stickers on the pumpkin vines.

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin.


We rode the hay-tractor back to the parking lot, and before leaving went over to look at the goats. Goats go 'baaaa'! She even got to 'pet' a horse (she grabbed his nose) that was helping to direct traffic. It was a big day of firsts - lots of fun!

1 comment:

Andrea and Ben said...

Those pictures are so cute! That looks like a fun time, I am going to have to put that on my list for next fall :0)