Wednesday, August 23, 2006

meat sticks are gross

Everyone's baby loves meat sticks. Gerber makes these hotdog-like sticks of well, meat, and all the girls I know tell me their baby loves them. Kate does not. I now have 3 jars (shoulda tried just one to begin with, huh?) of various flavors of meat sticks sitting in my pantry, and Kate detests them. She squeezes them out through her fingers, and plays with the skins. Ew. I have to give her credit: she will put a chunk in her mouth to try it, but then spits it back out. At first I thought we had a vegetarian on our hands, but we gave her pulled pork and she ate lots of that. She just doesn't like meat sticks. And really, who can blame her? They're nashty looking. And they smell like cat food. OH! Idea! I bet Starbuck will eat them! Yes.

We went to Anna's 2nd birthday party on Saturday night. Kate had a blast. And I am excited to see how she reacts to her birthday presents next month, considering she cried when I wouldn't let her play with Anna's gift before we went to the party. Most kids like the wrapping paper and boxes; I think Kate will actually like the toys. We shall see. But, the party: there were balloons (Kate loves them) and they had a giant kiddie pool in the backyard. I think Kate might have liked it better than our pool. Bonus. Coulda saved a few thousand dollars on that one...except it's hard to do laps in the kiddie pool.


Zoe, Kate and Taylor watch Stoner play with the doll.


Kate loves the pool!

We also got Kate her first pair of hard-soled shoes to get her ready for our trip to the Northwest next week. I talked to Tim's mom and she told me how she would take Kate's cousin Mykenzie on long walks down to the city hall and back when Mykenzie was about that age. Now, the city hall is almost a mile from their house, so I thought she meant that she would carry Mykenzie or would take her in the stroller. Nope. They both walked to city hall. So I found some shoes for Kate. They are so cute! Pink suede with little suede flowers. At first she had a lot of trouble walking in them because they are heavy and awkward when you're used to walking barefoot, but she is already getting better. Yesterday we put on jeans and her shoes and walked all the way to the end of the driveway. Not bad!

After many, many attemps to upload a photo of Kate in her new shoes, I give up. I'll try to post one later when blogger is more cooperative, if that ever happens.

***

Update: Not even Starbuck the kitty likes these Gerber meat sticks. Damn.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think those meat sticks look and smell and FEEL revolting...but Becca does eat them! I peel the "skin" part off first. I can't figure out how to give her regular meat. It seems she needs more teeth to chew or something.

Can't wait to see the shoe pictures! Blogger temporarily erased my blog today. What is the DEAL?

Jen said...

It ERASED your blog? That SUCKS! Is it back? That would freak me out!

We went to dinner at a friend's over the weekend. Their daughter is 1mo younger than Kate, and they put her at the table in her high chair with a sippy cup of formula, cut up bits of pesto pasta, and tiny pieces of pork. She went to town! I was shocked, and have now begun to try to get Kate to feed herself more. If Zoe can do it, so can Kate! Kate only has 4 teeth, but she does fine with small bits of meat. Except, of course, meat sticks. It's too bad she doesn't like them - they sure are easy!

Oh, have you tried deli meats? They are so soft and thin, I bet Becca would eat them just fine. She'll spit it out if she can't figure it out!