Friday, August 18, 2006

hot dogs, no thank you. i'll take more peas, please.

We had hot dogs for dinner earlier this week. This was my first hot dog since becoming pregnant, so I was pretty pleased for holding out till the 4th month. (For those of you who don't know the story, I first suspected I was pregnant when I was shopping at the commissary one morning and while walking down the relish aisle, thought, mmm, hot dogs.) Since I'm trying to slowly transition Kate from baby food to what I call real food, we are cutting up more of our meals to feed to her. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it does not. For instance, she has learned that she can squeeze some foods and make them ooze out of her fingers. She enjoys this immensely. Bananas and blueberries are her favorites for this trick.

But I digress. We had weiners for dinner, along with peas and carrots (because you just can't feel like you're being a good mom by eating cereal, peanut butter toast and chocolate chip cookies as meals everyday. Not that I do this. Really.). I cut up the hot dogs into Kate-sized chunks, and also put a few peas and carrots on her tray. She picked up the hot dog, put it in her mouth, and spit it out. She tried the peas next. She likes them because they roll around on the tray, and also because they are green. I think. So she tried the peas. Loved those. Ate every pea on her tray, found the leftover Kix from lunch in the corner of her tray and ate those and then looked at us like Okay, Mama, I'm done. You've got to be kidding me if you think I'm going to eat those weird hot dog bits. Not that I'm complaining. Not a bit; I just was amazed at her desire to eat vegetables instead of hot dogs.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That's great she loves veggies!!! We are going to try peas soon. I can see why kids like them! They are like toys, except they are food! Does she like those little Gerber meat sticks? Becca loves those--even though the sight of them makes me gag!

Jen said...

Mmm, meat sticks. I haven't tried those yet. They sound, um, nasty. I hope she's getting enough protein. I feed her a yogurt almost everyday, so hopefully that helps. I'll have to consider the meat sticks.

Andrea and Ben said...

Awesome!! I would choose peas too....good for your little girl!