Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kingman just isn't the same as Vegas

We didn't make it to Vegas last night. I forgot to look up directions to get us around Phoenix, so we had to take Grand through miles and miles of stop-and-go traffic and lights. And Tim had his final out-processing appointment at 9am on base, so we ended up on the road at 10:00, with a drugged kitty and 2 crabby girls. We got a stanky/smoke/pet/cat food smelly/fur in odd places fine place to stay next to Denny's, and called it a night.

Now Tim is driving one car at a time to the scales to weigh them, while I cruise the 'net and try to get Claire to take a nap. She is normally a fine sleeper, but on the road she is a totally different animal, as Tim put it. She has stayed up until at least 9:30pm every night, and is up by 7am. Needless to say, she is very fussy and tired. Luckily we are only 100 miles from Vegas, so we should be there in time for her afternoon nap.

It was weird leaving our house on Saturday. Tim and I spent several hours there, cleaning things up and gathering the rest of our belongings, and taking one last dip in the pool. It was bittersweet leaving Tucson. We had such a fun weekend at the La Paloma with my sister and her family, and it was hard to say good-bye to them. The girls are all playing so well together now, and Tempie looks up to Claire with such adoration that it was heartbreaking to know they won't see each other for months at a time.

We are looking forward to our next adventure, though, as this assignment is likely to be a big one. Tim's squadron has already asked him if he will go on a short TDY with them in July...and then I think his first deployment is in November.

No house to live in, no place to call home, yet. But that hasn't changed, so it's not newsworthy. We plan to look at some more houses later this week, and see what is on the market. I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

joanna said...

I feel your pain - and excitement! I have a good friend in Vegas and I'll have to email you her contact info... Have a fun last 100 miles! We've been wanting to go visit them and were counting on it being a 6 (or slightly more) hour trip. Guess not so?

Elizabeth said...

I keep checking the internet to get updates from you (and avoid cleaning my house). I was so glad to see a post!

EVERY STINKING TIME we drove to Vegas, I would forget the short cut and end up on Grand and pound my fist in the air in frustration.

I can wait to hear about your house hunting success!

Katie said...

It all sounds very exciting and also a tad sad at the same time! Moving!! Such a conundrum!

Deborah said...

Hey! So glad to see you're posting! And off to your new adventure - though we miss you guys already. Good luck with your hunting and settling in to at least your temporary quarters. A positive is that you're all making the trip together! :) (I'll try to remember that when we're moving - ha!)

Anonymous said...

You just made me feel soooooo much better about being stuck in United Airlines airport pergatory.... I suppose I should say thank you. Good luck with your move! Good luck with your new job, Tim! Exciting changes, but I know it's also sad and stressful. Max and Q send their loveses to Starbucks and say they hopeses he gets to comes homes from the kennel soons! (Kitties talk in plural - everything they are and do is too important to be said in singular).
Niki

Jen said...

You guys are awesome! It's sad to move, but it's great to get online and see that people have been reading about our adventures (and misadventures) and are caring enough to send their best!

Joanna - it is more like 7-8 hours, depending on where you start and where you are going. And THEN there are the stops. =) But it is worth it. You should let us know when you are in town. If we have a house, we can get together!

Elizabeth - I love your description about Grand. TOTALLY. You = too funny.

Katie - bittersweet. Always.

Deborah - it won't be too bad for you guys, hopefully! We are lucky that it was only a 1(+) day trip. A DVD player and lots of new toys and snacks will save you.

Niki - why are you at O'Hare? I'll call you back sometime soon, I promise.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you're still blogging, even mid move and even mid drive! You are a die hard. I love the update from you and I really enjoyed Tim's personal update e-mail, too. We're thinking of and praying for you guys! Hope to have time to talk and catch up soon. Love to all!