Friday, June 20, 2008

Happyness

Ummmm, I guess I forgot half of the post last time, and you only got the 'downs' part of the 'ups and downs' saga. Tim and I ended up watching 'The Pursuit of Happyness' a couple of nights ago, and that helped put things in perspective. (Not that I was in the middle of a breakdown; I was just having a bad night.) That movie, by the way, is a good one - see it if you haven't already.

So our house in Tucson didn't appraise. What that means is that an appraiser estimated the value of our home, and he said it wasn't worth as much as the sale price. Banks won't loan over the value of the property, so we had to reduce the price to meet the appraisal. The kicker is that appraisers are pretty much reducing the value of homes in Tucson by 5% across the board. I think it's called the Cover Your Ass method of valuation. Whatever. We worked things out with our agent and the buyers so that we aren't totally screwed, and the house should still close next week.

Then, as I was standing in line at Target, I got a call from our Vegas agent, Joe. He asked me if I was ready. "Ummmm, I guess so?" He said, "You got the house! You finally wore the bank down, and they accepted your last counter-offer." We plan to get the inspection done on Monday and hope to be new homeowners by Tim's birthday in mid-July.

In order to better jinx us:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the appraisal update. Next time I'll catch up on all your posts before I ask a silly question!
And, congratulations on the almost new house, too!
Sounds like many prayers are being answered! That's wonderful that your new lower counter offer was accepted. It sounds like God is working things out on both ends!
I can't wait to see more pictures of the new house - once it's yours.
Now, please pray with us that we sell our old house, too!
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I also checked your photos of flickr and was able to see Claire in the blue hooded sweatshirt that I loved on Mykenzie and also in my old yellow balloon jammies! Yeah! It's wonderful to see those fun and lovely clothes getting used.

Deborah said...

Congratulations, you guys! Woo Hoo! Things are finally starting to look up... :) I also can't wait to see more pics. Keep up the good work!

Andrea and Ben said...

I am glad things are starting to fall into place. I have been sending good house vibes north for a while and hoping it would happen soon.

I love the pool!! How exciting!

Katie said...

THANK GOD. Y'all have been through the ringer! I can't remember which house this one was.....the lap pool is pretty awesome!

Elizabeth said...

How awesome is that pool? I would actually consider one like that.

I am SO happy for you about the LV house. I can't wait to see more pictures. Which house is this? I am glad your Tucson house deal still went through. How scary!