Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Target, let's learn a lesson in customer service

I got my Dad a subscription to Popular Mechanics magazine for Christmas. By the way, have you ever read this magazine? I know it's not the typical chic mag, but it's really interesting!

Back to the subject. I paid the bill online through my bank in January, and then I got my first delinquent notice last month. I got another one yesterday, so I called them this morning to work out the problem so my Dad wouldn't stop receiving his gift. Although it was somewhat challenging to contact them (no phone number on the invoice? phone number buried in annoying web tree online?), I did speak with someone after waiting just a few minutes on hold, and told her my saga. She looked it up and although she didn't find my payment, she said that she had a feeling the check got destroyed in some of their "equipment." I'm not sure what that means, exactly, or why they would have check-destroying machinery, but she immediately credited my account, and the problem is fixed. I didn't have to find a gift receipt, and she didn't tell me that she would be happy to credit my account in 6 months; she just fixed the problem and voila! Happy customer. Target, what lessons can you take away from this situation?

2 comments:

joanna said...

How true! Did you think it's funny that Popular MECHANICS had some equipment eat your check?

Anonymous said...

Alright my beautiful daughter. It's time to move on with your life. Target is just a minor annoyance in the larger scheme of things. You give them too much press.(Ha-Ha, just couldn't resist this, sorry :-)
Love, Mom