Friday, March 21, 2008

Silly us

My friend, Camille, our kids, and I were planning a trip to the zoo this morning. We're both hoping to wear the children out of their fascination with the zoo before it gets too bloody hot to spend more than 3 minutes out in the sun. Being that it is late March, we are almost there already.

I arrived first, with Kate and Claire in the backseat joyfully telling me about all the animals they were going to see (okay, fine, it was just Kate saying the names of animals, but Claire was energetically yelling 'puppy' over and over again, like she does). I could barely get into the parking lot, there were so many cars there. There were also many signs telling me that the parking lot was full, and that spillover parking for the baseball game was just down the street. I was trying not to get peeved about all the baseball fans parking in my the zoo parking lot, while I slowly drove down each (of 4) aisle(s), desperately seeking a parking spot. As a last ditch effort, I drove down the aisle closest to the zoo entrance, and counted 11 free parking spots. I have noticed that there are consistently 11 free spaces there, and always thought that they were handicap spots. Not so. They are for Alternative Fuel Vehicles. ELEVEN parking spaces for Alternative Fuel Vehicles, and probably 40 spaces for Regular Fuel Vehicles. And those AFV spots are Always Empty. Are you kidding me? How about 11 parking spots for new moms? Or moms with more than 2 or 3 or 4 kids? Or something more reasonable that will actually get some use?

Anyway, I quickly called Camille to see if she had left her house yet. Luckily she had not, and we headed over to her house where there was no baseball game and where spring break was not a concern. There the girls played with her kids, Max and Emiliana, and we had some good mom talk. Thanks, Camille!

2 comments:

Katie said...

HOW ANNOYING. But it almost makes you want an AFV, doesn't it??

Elizabeth said...

Great call to just leave. I think I probably would have pushed it because I already made it there, and just been miserable the whole time. I'm thinking you have this mom thing down.