Friday, December 14, 2007

Toddler property laws, and a gingerbread house



Yesterday we made a gingerbread house. When I say 'we', really I mean I put it together, made the frosting glue, stuffed it full of marshmallows to make it stand upright because I was too lazy to build an under-structure, and decorated half the house. Kate tried to sneak as much candy as possible, took the house apart a couple of times, and finally began decorating it after I told her we were almost all done. What can you expect from a 2-year-old? I think we did pretty well.

I came across this recently. I haven't seen it in a while, and it's just so...fitting right now.

Toddler Property Laws
  1. If I like it, it's mine.
  2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
  3. If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
  4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
  6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
  7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
  8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
  9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
  10. If it's broken, it's yours. (No, the pieces are probably still mine.)

Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Catherine has a t-shirt that states those rules! My old boss gave it to her.

Man, you are so stinking creative. Gingerbread houses. With internal support of marshmallows and frosting glue. With your husband gone for days. Catherine played with old pens today. Again. And she ate pasta for lunch. Again. I think we're in a rut?

Andrea and Ben said...

I love the pig tails - adorable! Maybe they can be called something else other than pig tails.

Cute house - and who would have thought to use marshmallows to help it stand - clever!

Anonymous said...

What FUN! I remember those days although, I don't think Gingerbread houses ever made it through snack time. Should have made them bigger I guess. I miss you all, give the girls a great big hug from Grandma Cheri

Anonymous said...

p.s. I love the "property laws" are kids all alike or what??!! God bless you all, hope all are well now or very close to it.
Mom

Dinah said...

I think I've come across some adults who appear to have retained their toddler property rights... Great Gingerbread house. I made homemade bread with my granddaughter when she was two - I asked myself the same question "What can you expect from a two year old?" After I cleaned up the mess that oozed wherever my granddaughter went throughout the house, I had another question for myself: "What was I thinking??!!" But the memories are great and pictures made a great little book for my daughter. Fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

Twas fun to read. I remember having more energy to take on tasks like gingerbread houses with only 2 children. Maybe when we get feeling better and moved my creative side will return. Thanx for sharing! Miss you!