Friday, December 21, 2007

I should have bought stock in Kleenex


It has now been one month since we got sick the first time. At least one of us (and usually 3 of us) has been ill throughout these past 4 weeks, and there is still some lingering illness in everyone. The girls are on antibiotics for ear infections, and seem to be getting better, so hopefully, HOPEFULLY this is the end of it.

Since it is now unfashionable to give medicine to children to ease their coughing and congestion, what do you do for your kids when they are sick? Several people have told me to rub Vick's on their feet to help the cough. I'm not sure if this helped, or if it was the Robitussin that did the trick. We also tried steam baths, humidifiers, fluids and any other homeopathic methods you can think of. None of them were as effective as good old-fashioned drugs, but we did it all. Suggestions for the next round of illnesses?

6 comments:

Swistle said...

OH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! We're always sick all winter, and nothing really works. Well, vaporizers work a little bit (I use the hot-stream kind rather than the cool-mist kind), and I like adding a little of that Kaz Inhalant to the special reservoir in the vaporizer except that I always manage to spill it all over the place.

I keep hearing the Vicks-on-the-feet thing, and I don't see how that would....WORK. I do put a little Vicks on their chests sometimes.

Also, I give them the medicine anyway.

Katie said...

DRUGS. The end.

Andrea and Ben said...

Aaaah, Katie stole my post! I say drugs, unfashionable or not, they make us all feel better (and give mom some peace knowing ther kids are at least relieved from the ailments)!

Jen said...

Okay, we can all agree on the fact that drugs are good. But which drugs?? Have any in particular worked better than others for you?

Elizabeth said...

Yes, please share (legal) drugs that relieve coughing and congestion!

I hate how the pediatricians always tell you to keep them sleeping at an angle. This is impossible. When I tried to slant the crib with Catherine as directed, she ended up turning herself upside down.

Anonymous said...

We love Dimetapp for stuffy and runny noses and use it for all the kids. For coughs, we like Dimetapp for Cold/Cough and Delsym, but the prescription stuff always works better. The vicks on the feet does help our kids, but you have to put socks on over it! Don't know why, but there's a lot of medical stuff the Asians do with the bottom of the feet, including detox.
I'm so sorry you've all been so sick and I hope you all get better soon! We've been fighting coughs, here, for over a month, too, and I'm so tired of no sleep because someone is coughing!