Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas cards

In years past, I have secretly thought it sort of... tacky lame unfortunate when I received a Christmas card that was just that: a card without extra photos, a letter, or at least a handwritten note or signature. I dutifully hung them around the house anyway, but always wondered why they had sent me such a generic greeting. Was I an afterthought? Did they just send me a card because I sent them one? Were they hoping I wouldn't send them one this year so they could finally take us off their list? Gah.

This year I am that person. Everyone got plain cards from us: our family photo in front of an A-10 (that could have been any plane, since we are practically huddled under the wing), along with Christmas wishes and our names already printed on the card. No extra note. No letter. Not even a quick hand-printed wish of a prosperous new year. Even my grandmothers got this simple card. How sad. And how much easier it was. Also, everyone (except perhaps those in Poland and Brazil) should receive their card by Christmas. So: sorry for the generic feeling of our holiday greeting. But thank you for your understanding. I'll try harder next year.

6 comments:

Dinah said...

I commend you for doing THAT much. I have never sent out Christmas cards, I am ashamed to say. Each year I dutifully save the envelopes they came in so I have all the addresses I need to send them NEXT year, but it just never happens. I'm a scrooge. Probably by the time I get around to actually sending them, everyone will have long since taken me off THEIR list... :(
Merry Christmas!

Elizabeth said...

Can't wait to see your card (and Target dresses!).

Andrea and Ben said...

All I want is the pictures. The letters are great, but I know what a pain they are and haven't sent one for 3 years! Everyone should know what you are up to since you have the blog. It exempts you from needing to write the letter ;0) I love the picture you sent!!

Jen said...

Elizabeth - uh-oh. You don't have your Christmas card yet? I thought for sure at least everyone in the US would have them by now!

Andrea - I loved your picture card. Very cute. And, yes, I think the blog sort of makes up for the absence of a holiday letter. I write far more here than I could in a 1-2 page note!

Elizabeth said...

Got it before Christmas and I LOVED the picture of you guys!

Katie said...

But, you see...that is DIFFERENT. If it included a PHOTO of your family, that is your signature. A picture is worth a thousand words. I love getting photos of people! What I HATE are the storebought cards with no picture, no letter, just a "Love, Bob."