Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bets

I didn't break touch it!

Anyone want to wager how many times I'm going to have to:
  • re-wrap gifts?
  • glue ornaments back together?
  • holler at the girls to "stop touching the tree already!"?
  • pry McLaren's pudgy little fingers off the pretty noble tree?

I decorated the Christmas tree last night, alone (how sad is that?), while watching When Harry Met Sally, drinking hot chocolate and eating peppermint patties. Tim will be home soon, but I got impatient. I love decorating the tree each year. Unwrapping each ornament is like Christmas morning, as I have usually forgotten what ornaments we own over the preceding 12 months. We have family heirlooms (one of which Kate broke this morning), trinkets from places we've lived and visited, and creations I made when I was little, all decorating our tree. I read The Night Before Christmas to Kate again last night, and explained that I was going to hang the stockings by the chimney with care, and she was delighted to see them on the mantel this morning. Of course, I noticed that we need a new stocking for Claire, as this is her first Christmas.

Not much will fit into that tiny boot!

The Catalinas covered in snow. Beautiful.

Kate's silhouette from Saturday's Christmas tree expedition.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ahhh! You're going to have the fun "top only" decorated tree, aren't you? We are too! And, I don't think we'll be putting any presents out until right before she needs to unwrap them. Otherwise, forget it. Paper gets ripped off at super-sonic speed after she learned about it at her birthday party!

GREAT photos! I love it! And yes...Claire needs a decent stocking. And we need to get a copy of "The Night Before Christmas!" I don't even own it! Sad.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Catherine is obsessed with the tree this year. She even ate a ball ornament last week, cutting her mouth in the process. She knew she wasn't suppose to have touched the tree by then, so she just went about her business, bleeding from her mouth, until I discovered the broken ornament and blood. Sad.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling well enough to decorate the tree and eat peppermint patties!

Elizabeth said...

By the way, that picture of Kate with her pig tails next to the tree could be an advertisement for Baby Gap. She is just too adorable!

Andrea and Ben said...

Poor Claire and her teeny boot! I love the pic of Kate standing next to the tree like "there is nothing to see here!"