Thursday, January 03, 2008

Readjusting, a request for ideas, and the zoo

I knew I shouldn't have posted about Kate sleeping in. She has been up by 6:30am the past two days. But her afternoon nap seems to be back, so I guess it's a trade off? I used to have a window from about 12-12:30 for putting her down, and if I made it, she would sleep beautifully. Now my window has moved. I'm trying to figure out where it has moved to, because having her play in her room for 2 hours before she finally falls asleep seems a little much. And when she does that, she doesn't wake up until 4-4:30pm (or sometimes closer to 5pm) and then bedtime is all messed up. I suppose this shift could also have something to do with the fact that we have been cooped up for so long that she just has excess energy.

We went to the zoo today, where she got to run around and climb on things, and what do you know: I put her to bed and she stayed there and fell asleep almost immediately. Huh. So I bought an annual pass. We'll be going at least once a week until it's triple digits. And next time I'll bring my camera.

We are headed to Michigan in 2 weeks to visit family and friends. I know several of you have a plethora of experience taking toddlers on airplanes, and so I ask you - no, I beg you - please tell me how you do it! We have 2 flights each way, and it's sure to be painful if I don't have a plan.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I flew back and forth to Germany with Caitlyn, she was 1-3 yrs old, I used Benadryl alot and it made it easier to travel with her. I also had plenty of coloring books and things for her to do on the plane and during layovers. Good luck on the trip! :)

Elizabeth said...

Catherine was a lot younger than Kate and I only had one flight, but I filled a bunch of sandwich bags with different kinds of snacks (animal crackers, pretzels, grapes, goldfish). She spent a lot of time playing with the plastic bags and eating the snacks. Is that bad that I pacify my child with food and plastic bags?

I also bought her a new toy (a parents magazine phone), which ended up being a disaster because 1) it only occupied her for like five minutes; 2) it was LOUD; and 3) she threw it like four times and it hit the guy in front of us at least once.

Steph said...

After reading your blog almost everyday I finally signed up to leave comments. Yeah! I have never flown with two kids but when I flew with Katy we took the portable DVD player and just played Maisy without sound. I agree that new toys are ok but don't keep their attention long.

We also took the car seat on the plane. One flight attendant once told us that kids in car seats tend to behave better because they know they are expected to sit still in car seats. Good luck

Katie said...

Definitely bring a portable DVD player (with or without headphones...either way)! Some people like to contain their kids in car seats, but it just made Becca's feet about 2 inches from the tray table and she spent the entire flight kicking. So, now we don't use a car seat anymore. I advise lots of new toys and books and activities she has never seen. Play Doh, crayons, stickers.....just go to Target and get a whole bag of new stuff! Oh! AND LOLLIPOPS! Don't forget the lollipops!! :) You'll do fine. The anticipation of it is always worse than the actual event!

Also, bring a gallon ziplock with disposable changing table covers, antibac wipes, diaper wipes, a plastic grocery bag and diapers. So, if there is (the inevitable)poopy diaper, you can sanitize the "lavatory" and get it all cleaned up easily!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all these ladies have good ideas. I would only add plenty to drink (I know this can be a challenge these days but you can take drink powder and a water bottle and mix it yourself after you get thru security if you don't want to spend a lot of $ on drinks. Also, gum or something they can suck hard on if their ears bother them with the altitude/pressure changes. Now i realize that Claire won't be chewing gum (and this might be troublesome even with Kate) but you get the idea. Do they have their own seats or are they lap babies?
p.s. It might just be a lot of fun and a great time!
Love, MOM

Jen said...

You guys are the best! I am totally bringing snacks, new toys, books, and will see if we can borrow a DVD player. If she likes it, we'll so be getting one when we get back.

Anonymous said...

Tranquilizer darts.