Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is when I get absolutely nothing done (except for useless things like surfing the internet)

We're on the VML. That's the vulnerable to move list, and it means that we might (or might not) be moving in the next 6 (or 9) months. It also means that I start to hate my house, begin planning for our next location (even though I have no idea where it might be), and spend copious amounts of time on real estate websites, trying to find the perfect house in Hawaii, Florida, Las Vegas, Virginia, and Tucson (I must also plan for the possibility that Tim could get a new job here, and then we will probably have to move because I will have become so dissatisfied with our current home that it will no longer do). Deep breath, and punctuation without parentheses, please.

I've always loved looking at real estate. I remember walking through our brand new house in Redmond when it was being built in the 1970s. I was probably 4 years old, but I thought it was so cool that I could see the hallway past the bathtub when I was standing in the bathroom: there were no walls, only studs. Then, in high school, my boyfriend Tim (weird, huh? Different Tim) and I would "hike" like a mile from his house to new neighborhoods that were being built nearby, and discuss what we thought were the most important aspects of a good home.

Now I realize several things. For one, we really need two living spaces. A living room and a family room would be awesome. Kids come with a lot of plastic, and it's kind of an eyesore having it scattered all through the living room. Also, a garage would be so very useful. We have a carport here, which is great for keeping your cars out of the heat, but doesn't allow for one of the most important things ever: storage. I don't think we have that much stuff, overall, but I really would like to put the Christmas decorations some place other than the girls' closet. There are things I love about our house (pool, angled tile floors, newish kitchen, brand new master bathroom), and it will be hard to move into a house that doesn't have some of these things. For now, and until March when we hopefully find out if and when and where we are moving, I will have to peruse the internet to find my dream home and then think up some way of paying for it.

What's your dream house like?

4 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Erin Stark's house! it's funny, when I picture my dream house it is always in the desert, but I have no desire to settle here for good. Maybe I just like the style. now, if I could only translate that into Portland or Bend!

Katie said...

YES YES YES! I know that feeling EXACTLY. The instant hatred of your current house when you know a new one in on the horizon! I totally understand! I have spent way more time on realtor websites than I ever care to admit (but I loved every second of it!)

My dream house is OPEN and spacious and has a big giant family room that connects to the kitchen with a giant bar and an informal eating area! I don't ever want a formal dining room again. I do like having two/three living areas, though! And, it would have a separate guest bedroom and bath in the basement!

Elizabeth said...

Man, I just love your house so it is crazy to hear that you don't love it. I actually told Sam once that I loved how you had that huge open area right when you walk in that is kid-friendly, but still looks nice.

And what is your thing with men named Tim? Strange.

I usually become dissatisfied with the city, not just my house. I always loved Tucson, but began to disassociate myself from it and find things wrong with it when I was leaving, maybe in the hopes I wouldn't miss it so much when I had to leave. I do like that we get a do over with our houses every few years. Although I think we're done with home ownership for awhile.

Deborah said...

I hear you, Jen. My favorites are Homes.com, Realtor.com, etc... We'd love to have a 3BR/2BA, OPEN LR/DR/Kitchen area, lots of storage, an art room for me, a display room for Neal's flying parephenalia (sp?), lots of windows, high ceilings, woods nearby, a deck, a nice big yard with GRASS for Grace to play barefoot in, a fenced area outside for Lady (our German Shepherd), a master bath with a raised tub near a big window (high enough that no one can see in) and at least one set of French doors somewhere in the house. Aaaahh... Oh, and a nap room/porch. (Suspended beds with drapes flowing all around me in the breeze with open windows.) I've thought about this a "little"... :) Enjoy your searches and remember to take breaks! :)