Sunday, January 13, 2008

Dinner out

I didn't cook all weekend (with the exception of macaroni and cheese and hot dogs, but does that really count?), and it was a welcome break! I like to cook, but the clean-up part afterwards is not my favorite way to spend time, so going out to dinner is always a nice change.

Last night we went out to Peter Piper Pizza. We will probably not be going back. I had never been there before, and thought it would be a fun place to take the kids. It's supposed to be like Chuck E. Cheese's, but it was just sort of blah. The pizza took an hour (at a kids restaurant!) to arrive, many of the games were broken, the food was not very appetizing, and they didn't serve milk. No milk at a place that caters to kids. Um...? Kate enjoyed the experience, but next time we'll try Mr. Cheese's place instead.

Tonight we met my sister and her family at Takamatsu, a Korean and Japanese restaurant that we haven't been to in almost a year. Jess and Mike had never had Korean food, and they were up for trying something new, so it was fun. We sat on the Korean side where they have tables with range-tops built in, and we cooked our own bulgogi and galbi. Mike also got a steaming bowl of bibimbap, which Claire ate greedily. Jess and Mike tried every one of the kimchi bowls placed on our table, which was impressive given that tonight they included itty-bitty fish as part of the feast. I tried them in Korea and I was not happy to have done so. Jess said they weren't bad, so maybe they were different than the ones I had, but I didn't try them this time. Kate did not enjoy the meal much, and apparently ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when we got home, but Claire loved it. She ate rice, bibimbap, potato kimchi, bulgogi and galbi. Not to worry - I didn't give her any soju with dinner.

Tomorrow I will be stressed out with packing and planning for our trip to Michigan. I am dreading the flight, but it will be great to see family and friends. See you back here next week!

5 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Have fun!

We love Takamatsu, but have yet to eat the Korean food. Maybe next time :0)

Anonymous said...

Korea House on Speedway is my fav for Korean food, but love Taka in general. Have a great time - your writing prose will be missed:-)
Camille

Deborah said...

Yay, Takamatsu! We love that place. I can't believe Claire ate Bibimbap! I'm sure Grace would love to throw it and squish it in her hands and into her hair. Ugh. Have a great trip!

Katie said...

I always like bibimbap (except for the raw egg part)....sounds like a fun dinner out! Good for Claire for tasting it all!

I hope you have a great trip! It will go better than you think! (I hope)!

Elizabeth said...

So sorry to hear about Peter Piper Pizza. We had a similar experience here with an ubber-nast kid's pizza place.

Looking forward to reading your blog when you get back! Hope you have a great time with grandma!!!