Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Shopping trip success!

I know it probably sounds like a simple thing: going to the commissary for our weekly grocery shopping. Add triple digit temperatures, and three children under the age of four, however, and voila! Potential craziness. But! We survived. No major incidents, no diaper malfunctions, no hysterical crying. There was even a lady we were following (so her children said) who used my children as an example for hers on how to behave! I had to wear Luke in the bjorn, and put the girls in the airplane cart. They didn't even fight much, which is more than I can say for most afternoons around here lately.

Luke is super crabby today; he has a cold and I don't know what all hurts him, but know he is sick because the rest of us have had it and his nose is runny. He slept for 12 hours last night, though, so maybe that will help him get over it soon. Last night was the first night that I didn't wake him up between 10-11pm to feed him one last time. I fed him at 8pm, and he didn't wake up until after 8am this morning.

He hates rice cereal. I have only given it to him about 3 times, but he purses his lips in a surprisingly effective effort to keep the spoon out of his mouth, and spits out most of what I get in there.

We are struggling with potty training. Claire starts school next week and is supposed to be potty-trained before she attends pre-school. Last week I took her to Target so she could pick out her own potty treats (she chose M&Ms and Midnight Milky Way bars), and she peed twice that day on the toilet! Since then: fail. She doesn't even want to try. And when you tell her she has to pee on the toilet at school she will tell you that she doesn't want to go. Tim put her in undies last night when he got home, and I think she peed in 2 pairs before bed. I keep waiting for time when we have less going on so that I can stay on top of the situation and put her on the toilet every 30 minutes, but that time never seems to happen.

Kate is 40% to a prize. I promised her a new toy when she could stay dry for 10 nights (not consecutive). I wish I knew how to help her over this hurdle. I know she is capable of staying dry, but it happens so rarely.

Running is going so slowly. I hyper-extended my knee slightly when Tim's family was here, and it still hurts. But it only hurts when I'm walking or standing - running doesn't seem to bother it. Running does bother my lungs, though - it is taking me a longer time than ever before to get back into shape. I am now up to 2 miles, and am hopeful that this weekend my "long run" will be closer to 3 miles than to two.

2 comments:

Carrie S said...

Believe it or not I was desperate with Noah and paid for the information from the 3 Day Potty Training website. It worked. However, it requires completely devoted attention to the child for 3 days!! It's hard to do, almost impossible, but it was worth it. That is why Isaac is not yet fully trained, because I haven't had 3 days to devote to him. If I can get the time, he's so close that I'm sure we can make it. Best of luck to you, too.

Elizabeth said...

I am so proud of you, but am worried about your knee injury. It's too early in the season for that. Maybe you need a week off? I am no where near three miles -- the double jog stroller is killing my lower back. I think I need to do anything over two miles at the base gym, where I heard that they have some kids room with a treadmill.

I am working on our schedule tonight!! I think! 16 weeks from today!

Potty training and baby sickness. Hate. And I cannot imagine taking three children to the grocery store.