Saturday, August 23, 2008

Theories?

I am hearing things. Unexplainable things. Here's the set-up:

Our kitchen is downstairs, as most kitchens are, and Kate's bedroom is right above it. The girls' bathroom is also above the kitchen, a little bit towards the middle, and probably above the cook top and microwave. Kate's bedroom is carpeted; the bathroom is tile. A few times a day for at least the past week, I randomly hear what sounds like someone dragging a heavy object across a solid surface floor. Specifically, it sounds like a bed or large table grinding across a tile or hardwood floor. This happens when there is either no one upstairs, or when the girls are asleep. In any case, there is no piece of furniture that either of them could be dragging around to make the sound.

It's not really creeping me out; it's just weird, and I can't explain it. In the vicinity are:
  • a refrigerator (with ice maker, but we rarely use it, so it rarely makes ice, and even the making of the ice does not sound like what I keep hearing)
  • the laundry room (neither the washer nor the dryer are in use when it happens)
  • a water heater (in a cubby hole in the garage, right next to the laundry room. This is the only thing that is a possibility in my mind, although I can't see how it could be making this noise.).

Any ideas? Is our house haunted? It seems a little new for this. It is intriguing, however.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't have a clue sweetheart but we are looking forward to being there next week and hearing your"ghost" to figure out what it is. Don't you just love mysteries!?!
Love, Mom

Katie said...

Ummmm. I'm scared. Hold me.

Seriously, that FREAKS ME OUT. I CANNOT HANDLE UNEXPLAINED DRAGGING NOISES! AAAAAAAH.

joanna said...

I bet it's something to do with the refrigerator. Reminded me of living in NC where we were in the flight path of the C130s going to Pope. I ran upstairs more than once to see what fell out of the closet before I realized that the boom I occasionally heard was artillery from the army practicing somewhere nearby. Maybe it's something like that?

Anonymous said...

Hope you are able to figure it out and that you have lots of fun with Mom and Dad. It didn't realize it was so soon that they were coming to see you. We can't wait to have them here in October! Love you!