Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Random stuff

We had poo today! Ooh, sorry to throw that one at you without warning, but Kate finally achieved this potty training milestone. We will see what tomorrow has in store. She rather enjoyed the coveted chocolate bar she got as the reward, although I am concerned that she will demand one every time in the future. Ah, well, better than diapers, right?

The girls got into my make-up today. There was a lot of lipstick, generally on the lips, and it was adorable. I would show you pictures, but Tim took the camera with him to Germany, and I have not yet figured out how to download pics from my phone.

Tim is TDY in Germany for five days. Who goes to Germany for five days? Or, two days, for that matter, as that's about how long he is actually going to be there.

The girls and I got to Skype with him tonight, which they thought was GREAT.

We are in the middle of a mild wind storm right now, which I love, but would love more if it included pounding rain and thunder. I miss the Arizona monsoons with a passion.

I also miss my Parents' Day Out program there. So So Much. There is nothing here like that! It's a tragedy. I did get us a membership today to the YMCA, which has free daycare while you are working out. It's a distant second. I mean, working out is great and all, but sometimes I just want to go have a coffee or go to the grocery store by myself! This will give me a great excuse to go work out, though, which I desperately need.

I had big plans to get tons of stuff done while Tim is gone, but am starting to realize that was probably a pipe dream. House maintenance takes Forever. But I did get 2 boxes of books unpacked today, which I considered to be a huge feat. Soon we will be left only with the Boxes That No One Wants To Open: files.

Claire is trying to jump. She has gotten close enough to doing it that she is slightly obsessed by it. But she can't quite figure it all out, so she runs really fast and then sort of leaps with one foot out in front.

Kate's new phrase: "my friend ___". Tonight it was, "...and then on Saturday my friend Daddy will come home and we'll eat yummy bresstess (breakfast)...". Also her friends: me, Claire, Starbuck, bunny and blanket.

Claire so wants to be like her big sister and sit on the potty. She tells me when she wants to sit down, but only once have we had luck. I have the feeling that this is a fleeting opportunity, but am unsure how to grab hold of it and never let go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boxes of files, that's funny. Do you really need to open them? I moved last YEAR and have boxes in my office that I still have not opened. When I moved from my house last YEAR, I had boxes of files from my last move, SEVEN YEARS PRIOR that I had never opened. I took them to the dump, unopened. If I hadn't looked in them in seven years, how important could they be? I hope they weren't important... (Don't get on me about recycling, I'm a very good recycler. It was either taking the unopened box to the dump, or opening the box, deciding the contents were important, toting the fire hazard along to my new abode, adding it to an every increasing pile of combustible fuel in my ever decreasing space, and someday, someday, FIRE. So, not like it would have been recycled, all that carbon load, up, up into the atmosphere in the WORST form of pollution).
Niki

Elizabeth said...

There you are, potty training your children, working out, delighting in their messes and fun childishness while Tim is gone. Here I am, yelling at Catherine, hiding in my room, feel sorry for myself. Hmmmmm . ..

Jen said...

Um, Elizabeth, there has been a little yelling here, too, along with some time-outs (for all of us) and wine (for me, not the kids). I live for 1pm and 9pm everyday, when the house is blissfully quiet.

Andrea and Ben said...

Hope the potty training is going well, or you are plenty stocked with wine, one or the other!