Thursday, August 14, 2008

Called Out...

Yes I took the camera, Elizabeth, and yes I took some pictures. I'm sure summer in Germany is the best time to visit - it was beautiful and reminded me of Oregon...except for the DJ on the radio. The music was the same as here (I missed all the Hasslehauf songs) but Kid Rock is more fun to listen to on the autobahn. The drive to my meetings was a bit crowded, so I took some pictures... but at 5 am on the way back the road was wide open!

Fabulous Cathedrals in the old world.















I had a few hours free but no guide and no tour book... "Beef" loaned me a GPS though that got me to Trier for a few hours, and back home via country roads (with no map of course). I enjoyed my six hour tour of Germany. Next time I'd like to take the family.
Below is the old Trier City Gate built by ... the Romans. This was where I had dinner.





This was on the drive home. The Germans seem to be going for wind power and the wind mills made for some dramatic scenery at sunset.

My rental was fun to drive. It was a Peugot. It looked like a go-cart, turned like a go-cart, accelerated and stopped like a go-cart... must be a go-cart. But I'd never driven a go-cart that had such good acceleration above 80 mph. Even the go-carts in Germany are good when the speed limit changes to "No Limit".

Not so economical either. The go cart cost $66 to fill up.

That's all for now. I hope you all are well. Next week's trip won't be near as much fun.

Tim

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Finally.

Wow. Amazing pictures, and amazing that you never heard a David Hasslehauf song the entire time! Too bad Jen couldn't go with you. I can't believe she didn't jump at the chance to take two young children on a transatlantic flight to tour Europe for six hours.

Windmills "dramatic scenery"?

Anonymous said...

Some of the windmills were right next to the road. The picture I posted was from much farther away. The comparison to Don Quixote was unmistakable when you turned a corner and saw this huge blade swing by right over the tops of the trees, and felt like you were driving in the sadows of giants.