Saturday, July 26, 2008

A girl and her powertools, posing a question

In an effort to avoid further unpacking any more boxes last night, I began adding decorative hardware to our kitchen cabinets. After drilling and drilling, and cursing a bit, I finished most of the cabinets. However, I have a question: do you add pulls to non-usable cabinetry? There are two "drawers" beneath both the cooktop and the kitchen sink, and I don't know whether to leave them free of pulls or add the hardware. Before I began the project, I thought for sure that I would add them to every surface that would accept them. After working for freakin forever what seemed like ages, I thought, "those drawers aren't really drawers, and therefore they don't need pulls". Also, it's going to be a right pain in the patooty to get pulls on those faux drawers, since you have to drill from the back and you (I) cannot open the "drawers".

So, do I need them? Does it look silly to have pulls on all drawers but the fake ones? Say it!


7 comments:

joanna said...

I think it looks fine - even good - without pulls. But I don't like things like fake pockets. I don't want it to look like it should work if it doesn't. Oliver, on the other hand, thinks they need pulls - "or something" in his words.

Anonymous said...

They don't need pulls. I'm with Joanna, I don't think things should look like they work when they don't. I kind of think it would look funny to have pulls on a sink front, when everyone knows that a sink front isn't a drawer. Probably just me. Why don't they just put full height cabinet drawers on sink cabinets???
Niki

Elizabeth said...

Drilling? Impressive.

I feel very strongly that all the drawers, even the unusable ones, need the pull thingies. I think it looks odd without it.

Anonymous said...

Whatever you like dear. It's your house!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi there, If home making tips from a long term bacherlor means anything...skip the pulls on non functional drawers/doors, especially in front of places you may have to stand and work. They snag clothing.
Also, it's like putting gas in a car with no motor. Uncle Bob

Anonymous said...

We skipped it on the space under our bathroom sinks, but we don't have a sort of non-space anywhere in the kitchen. I'd skip it, though, too. I know we didn't have any on our false front under the sink at our old house.

Katie said...

I say skip it, because I've seen many houses where they have them and then people pull on them, and then they get loose and fall off and it looks worse than when you started!!!!! The cabinets look great the way they are!