Thursday, August 23, 2007

Toddler for sale

Okay, before you call CPS and/or hit the comment button to post a bid, know that I am (mostly) kidding. In general, Kate is one of the best 3 things that has happened to me. But this week she has come into her terrible twos with a vengeance that even I was not prepared for. She is hitting, kicking, screaming, and throwing herself on the floor in full-up tantrum mode that only a toddler can achieve. The other night, she cried so hard she made herself sick, literally. She got a bath and I got to clean up chunks of dinner. Normally I just ignore the tantrums if we are at home, but with her ability to cry so hard that she actually throws up, I am forced to double-think that method of tolerance. If I let her cry too hard, I'm afraid of what the result will be. I am thankful that she is not biting, and pray that no one mentions this out loud near her lest she get any ideas.

Mostly, I cannot understand what she is crying about. She is crying so hard and screaming and I just can't understand what she is trying to say. I know this is frustrating for both of us. I think the past 2-3 episodes have involved clothing: she either wants to wear something or does not, and I want/need her to do the converse of what she wants. For instance, I won't let her go to bed without pants on, because she'll take her diaper off, and that's just too much. I cannot figure out a solution. Ideas?

On the other hand, Claire is at my favorite age. She is able to sit up (mostly) unassisted, she can't move besides rolling from her back to her tummy, she coos and dissolves into a fit of screamy giggles when you snort on her neck or belly, she grabs her toes and chews on them, she throws one arm across her eyes and puts her other thumb in her mouth when she's tired, and the only things she can say are 'Maaa!' and 'Aaaaah!'

Now, I don't not love Kate (for those who don't like quadruple negatives, this translates to: I love Kate dearly), don't get me wrong. I'm just near wit's end trying to sort out how to handle her. Until then, I'll just enjoy her nap time, and hope that this stage passes. Fast.

5 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

drink wine.

Katie said...

Oh shit. I have no idea. But, please, woman, figure it out for me and tell me the solution!!!

Claire is nearing my favorite age, too. About 8 to 9 months. I LOOOOVE that stage!

Elizabeth said...

Yeah -- let me know if you solve that one. Catherine already throws these crazy tantrums where she screams so hard she gags and throws up, so I can't imagine what it's like when they turn 2. :(

Jen said...

Y'all, I think I'm totally hosed. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if Kate's just going through a horrible, horrifying, horrific stage. For now, I'm drinking plenty of wine, and am considering offering some to her. Of course, then she'll just throw up red wine, and that doesn't really go with my carpets.

Katie said...

Maybe it is time to crack open the parenting books that I have thus far completely ignored. I read all the books on pregnancy but NOTHING about actually parenting. Hmm. I suck.