Monday, August 06, 2007

Finally, we are back!

6mo.


We got back on Saturday afternoon, but our modem was fried (monsoons? lightning?) and we couldn't get online. I realized then just how very horribly addicted I am to the internet. And how much other stuff I can get done when my beloved internet is not working. Tim, luckily, is also addicted to the net, so he was on a mission to fix it. Thanks to his efforts, I am back online.


The drive back was...somewhat more painful than the ride up. It didn't help that we took the 'long' road back through Idaho and Utah. Six days later (and more than 3000 miles driven in the past 5 weeks) we are all much happier to not be sitting in a car.


We spent 2 nights in Boise, soaking up the fun and the good beer (we took the girls to 2 breweries while we were there); drove to Ogden, UT, where we stayed at Hill AFB; braved the crazy torrents of rain and flood waters south of there to arrive at Cedar City, UT, near Zion; drove through Vegas on a Friday, stopping only at In N Out Burger for lunch; spent a night in Kingman, AZ; and finally arrived home on Saturday afternoon. Overall it was a fairly uneventful trip home (minus Kate's total meltdown at McDonald's in Wickenburg on Saturday - she just did not want to go into the restaurant and threw one of the biggest fits I have ever seen when we tried to get her to sit down and eat her cheeseburger).


Our house is still standing, although the pool is quite green and so is the yard. We are still unpacking (I think this process might take a week to 10 days) and trying to get organized. Monsoon season is in full force; it took Tim 45 minutes to get to work this morning (normally a 15-minute drive), and the girls' swim lessons are cancelled today. It's dark inside even though it's almost 8am, and I can hear thunder rumbling in the distance. Time for me to go make some breakfast and get some stuff done while the house is still quiet. Pictures soon, I promise.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Welcome home! Isn't the weather great this morning (other than if you are driving, that is)? How did the girls do in their car seats for all that driving? How did Kate's new car seat work out?

Andrea and Ben said...

YAY, you are home! I can not imagine what our pool would look like after a month! You have missed some killer storms (quite literally). I thought I might need an ark to get home last week when my 20 minute drive turned into an hour!

Jen said...

Aaah, Kate's car seat. Yes, that was fun. I had Tim take the Graco baby car seat apart while he was here and bring back the straps from that. Now it works just fine. Thank you, Graco.

And yes, LOVE the weather! I love inclement weather (when I'm not driving in it), so I'm sort of sorry I missed all those crazy storms!

Katie said...

Congratulations on making it home in one piece and surviving living out of a suitcase for that long. That is hard to do! I can't believe McLaren is already 6 months. How is it with two now? Has it calmed down or is it just always crazy?

Jen said...

It has calmed down, but is still crazy sometimes. Now both nap at the same time for at least 45 minutes (usually), so that makes it easier. I'm finding that it's best when I get up early and get some me time then, and then just go to bed early. That makes nights tough (I'm exhausted by 9pm), but I think it might work better for me for awhile. Luckily both girls sleep well at night and both are pretty easy overall!

I'm banking on the idea that I'll be golden in about a year when they decide they like playing with each other .