Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bar-Hopping With Your Children: A Guide

Friday night was the first night back in the squadron bar. The whole squadron building has been under construction for many months, and now most of the building is up and running. The guys had a casual Friday social at their new bar last week, and families were welcome. We, of course, took that to mean the "entire" family, so I showed up to the squadron at 1700 with Kate & Claire in tow. There was supposed to be food there, so I just brought Kate's sippy cup of milk, and Claire had already eaten. We arrived to some extra-crispy Tostino's pizza bites, some over-cooked chinese chicken, and the garlic romano bread that I had brought. Kate somehow found Daddy amongst the masses of green legs, and I put Claire in the Baby Bjorn so I could walk around hands-free. Kate immediately found the cord to the blinds on one of the doors and started wrapping herself up in it. An older woman saw Kate and helped her out of the tangled mess, since her parents were nowhere to be found.

Finally, as more people started showing up (with food), Kate had a more proper dinner to include fried chicken, pizza and chocolate cake. As I was trying to feed her a bite of cake while standing behind her, the cake fell on the floor. Before I could grab it up off the nasty bar floor, Kate wrapped her pudgy fingers around it and shoved it into her mouth. Mmm.

As for Claire, by this point she was sitting on the bar in her carseat, parked next to the Jeremiah Weed liquor dispenser. Damn, if I'd only had my camera.

The next night we went to Buffalo Wild Wings where Kate tried to drink some of Tim's beer while she flirted with a boy more than twice her age. I bet if you ask her she'll say she had a great weekend.

My sister is due in less than 2 weeks, so we'll probably be heading out for wings often to try to induce her. Keep your fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Sounds like fun! We will have to try the wild wings place, it sounds tasty....and anywhere that serves beer gets a thumbs up from me!

Katie said...

Hilarious!

I meant to say earlier that I thought that picture of your sister at her shower was YOU. You look very similar! I hope she has an easy labor and delivery. Eat those wings!

Elizabeth said...

The food DID suck. (This from a person who didn't even bring anything.) I'm glad to hear it got better after I left. Just FYI, the reason that Catherine was enjoying eating that candy cigar so much was that the plastic had opened and she was sucking on the gum! So this basically means that I fed bubble gum (that had dropped on the ground of the squadron bar several times) to my 9-month-old before she even has teeth!