Thursday, May 04, 2006

what's the worst that could happen?

Kate in tears after falling over backwards.

What has your child done that has caused you much grief? My friend Katie just shared how her baby daughter fell off the couch and onto her head (she's fine), and what a traumatic experience it was. I can't really remember what horrible things happened to me when I was younger, except catching a fly ball with my face when I was about 9. That was fun. Kate is only 7 months old, so she doesn't have much time to have contributed to the list. Probably the worst that has happened to her so far was last week at Little Movers and Shakers: she was riding the pony (like the blue dog) and she fell off while I was right next to her. She started screaming and everyone stared at me. Me: winner of the Mom of the Year award! Kate was fine, she was just surprised, I think. She has also let go of my hands while "walking" and fallen down, fallen over backwards and smacked the floor while trying to sit upright, choked on some water when I was holding her in the pool (I didn't realize babies wouldn't make some loud indication that their chins were dangerously close to the water level, oops), and gagged on part of an olive that she bit off while I was letting her suck on it. And I know that ain't nothin' compared to what is probably in store for us. Tim and his brothers did some crazy things when they were little, but I'll have to get the stories again when he gets home, as I probably wouldn't do them justice. What about you? What has your child done that has freaked you or your child out?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh well, things just happen. Look at it this way, it is highly valuable to learn about the laws of gravity, the point of no return, balance, spacial awareness, etc., etc. The great thing about being a child is there is almost always someone there to pick you up and sooth the body & spirit. And don't forget, "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger". :-)

Heather said...

That is nothing, Jen. When we lived in Germany, Caitlyn learned how to undo the velcro on her bouncy seat and I didn't realize it. I picked her up and she fell out onto her head! I think I cried harder than she did!!! Took her to the hospital to make sure she didn't have a skull fracture and the mps came and questioned me! It was horrible!!!!

Jen said...

I figured this would be a good topic! I can't believe the MPs came to question you - that must have been horrible!

Anonymous said...

Nothing too terrible yet, thank God!!! But... not too long ago, Eric was rolling around on the floor 'exploring', and of course I turned my head! When I heard him making crazy noises- not crying- I looked over and his head was stuck under the couch and his feet and hands were flialing about! Being the great mom I am, I laughed and grabbed the camera and had to take a picture before I got him out! I think if he was crying, I would have reacted faster, but he was fine- so I needed a picture! I am SURE that that will be pale in comparison to what I have in store!!!:)

Katie said...

I love the couch story! That's hilarious....and scary!

Do you know baby CPR/heimlich? I am so scared I will need to konw that stuff and I don't!!!

Katie said...

P.S. Not my couch story. Dana's couch story!