Friday, September 05, 2008

Why I (strike through) heart TriCare

It's 4pm, and I just got a call back from the peds unit on base. Kate is exhibiting a symptom of a UTI, which she has had before, and I thought it best to get her in and check her out. I called at 7:30am today (several times, actually, since the incompetents at scheduling were unable to successfully patch me through to the right number) and left a message. I called again at 1pm, having not heard from them. Left another message. Amber, the scheduling girl in peds who just called me back, mumbled an apology about not calling back sooner, but "there's something, like, wrong with the phone system here? And blah blah blah...". She then went on to tell me about her experience with a UTI (hello, helpful? Not really) and that I should definitely take Kate in to the ER this weekend, because it could be serious. Duh, that's why I called y'all this morning.

So, they are closed all weekend, of course, and when I asked about scheduling a back-up appointment for Monday, I got a diatribe about how she couldn't actually schedule me for an appointment now because although she could see the appointments, she couldn't actually book any because it's more than 24 hours in advance. And they aren't open on Sunday. Really? And this is where we all want to go with nationalized health care?

I am in the process of switching myself over to TriCare Standard, which I have never been on before, but which seems like a heck of a good idea. I will get to see doctors off base, I will get to self-refer (!), and I will not have to deal with the craziness that I just dealt with today. And if I encounter it, I can change doctors! Also, I am seriously considering switching the girls over to Standard, too, since it is currently the beginning of September and they are booking 18mo well-baby checks in October, when Claire will be 20mo.

5 comments:

Katie said...

My whole family was hospitalized after a car accident in Australia with socialized medicine and it WAS GREAT! It was awesome! So, I know it can be done well. But, if it is done like Tricare? We're all screwed. Tricare sucks the BIG ONE!

joanna said...

That's very interesting... I always assumed that Tricare PRIME was better than Tricare STANDARD based on the name alone. Maybe I shouldn't assume so much! And I, too, think of Tricare everytime I hear mention of nationalized healthcare. Ugh. I hope your ER visit goes well!! Does an Urgent Care place not work like the ER as far as Tricare goes? I've never been to an urgent care, but a friend here who's also military went to the urgent care in Rita Ranch with her son maybe even more than once.

Deborah said...

Even Dr's offices cringe when they hear "Tricare", so I've heard. But on the upside, I say go for it with getting the girls on Standard. That's what we've done with Grace and we love it. I would actually consider it myself once I go back to non-OB care. Is Kate doing better now? Were you able to get her anything for pain? Hope all's better.

Elizabeth said...

Standard will change your life.

Is Kate better?

"She then went on to tell me about her experience with a UTI (hello, helpful? Not really)" LOL!

Andrea and Ben said...

Hope Kate is feeling better. I, too, have considered Standard. Once we are not here I will definitely consider it. I may try to get Reid on standard so we can go off base.