Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pictures of Kate's 3rd birthday

It is amazing to me that my baby is 3. I did not understand the adage about time flying (seriously: flying?) until I had children, and now I have a better grasp on it. It doesn't seem like yesterday, exactly, that she was born, but it doesn't seem like three years have passed, either.

Now, at three, Kate has turned into such an incredible little person. She understands so much, and has a thirst for knowledge that stuns me at times. She loves to build things; she jumps at any chance to be like her mom or dad so she can "work on things", "solve her problem", or "fix stuff". Lately she has been wandering around the house with slumped shoulders, in a moping sort of fashion. When I ask her what is wrong, she says she is trying to figure out her problem. Apparently one of her parents must also slouch around with slumped shoulders, looking depressed? Gah. When she tells me what the specific problem is (it usually involves Dora or Diego), and I offer a solution, she immediately cheers up and goes to "fix it".

Her favorite toys are the Tinker Toy set she got for her birthday (Tim builds the craziest working-model...things...and Kate is beginning to come up with her own inventions), a wooden Melissa and Doug fruit set that allows kids to "chop" the pieces in half, her new big wheel, and these foam inter-connecting block letters that she uses to build doll houses and train tracks. Her imagination has no end, which is something she clearly got from her father. She also loves to cook. I think this was one of her favorite parts about her birthday: she got to help bake two cakes! And the energy she has is astounding! When we go on walks at night, she can run until Tim and I are tired out.

She badly wants to read, and has memorized how to spell several words. She is also able to write the letters 'T' and 'I' and 'X', and is working hard on 'E' (right now it has about 5-7 horizontal lines). She gets very frustrated with the letter 'K'. She will sit down with her bunny and read her "diary" to her (a lined notebook).

Potty training is going very well, and although she is still in diapers when she sleeps, she often uses the facilities without my help. This I love!

I am hoping to get her into some sort of school within the next month, as I think she would love some structure to her days, and I know she would be so happy to be around other kids her age more.

Kate, we love you so much! You are so precious to us, and you will always be our special baby girl. Happy Birthday.
Making her cake.
Ryan helps Kate unwrap her gift.
Our house will never be the same.
Time for cake.
Cheese!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! I LOVED plastic food, fun, fun, fun! Thanks for posting pictures.
Niki

Anonymous said...

It looks like you all had a great time! Oh, I so wish we could have been there; but am so thankful we did a practice birthday while we were visiting. Happy Birthday AGAIN, KATIE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Grandpa Jerry & Grandma Cheri

Katie said...

God, it is so weird seeing all these babies turn into KIDS. She looks so grown up! Happy Birthday to Kate!

Oh...the plastic food. It is one of the most popular toys at our house...and one of the most annoying! :)

Anonymous said...

The cake turned out very cute - way to go! Yes, the plastic food is fun. The favorite in our house are the real metal pots, pans, lids, and utensils! We now have 2 kitchens (besides mine) one upstairs and one downstairs because they get so much playtime. And because my mom found one super cheap at a garage sale! Miss you all!

Andrea and Ben said...

Sweet cake!! She looks so big in the photo of you two making the cake. Wierd!!

Fabiana, Rafaela e Marcelo Reis said...

I can't understand all, but what I understand, I loved!
You are very good with the words, and (our)the babys is very special always...
I will have a BOY in 2009/March.
Her name is HEITOR