Thursday, September 06, 2007

The downside of daycare, er, pre-school, and an update on McLaren

I think Kate is getting a cold. She is supposed to be napping, but I keep hearing coughing. Then I have to run in and check to make sure she isn't throwing up, because she's making that horrible "cough like I'm going to vomit" cough.

Claire's upper GI appointment was this morning. We arrived slightly after 8am, and waited 45 minutes to get called back. I hate that! I mean, it had to be like the first appointment of the day, and she's a baby! Don't keep the babies waiting, folks. They get crabby. Claire did really well, though. She was starving, and drank enough of the barium to allow them to perform the test. I only cried once, which I thought was pretty good, considering they had to strap her to a padded board, head strapped down as well, and rotate her little body around so they could x-ray her. That part only took about 10 minutes, and the rest was more of a wait wait wait exercise. After the rotating x-rays, they took lie-down x-rays about every 20 minutes for a little more than 2 hours, to see how the barium was passing through her system. The doctor who analyzed the results said that she did not see anything abnormal, and that that ruled out all sorts of 'bad things'. I'm not sure what those bad things are, exactly, but since they don't apply to McLaren, I'm not bothering to find out. So, the end result is pretty much where we started: they don't know what is causing her to vomit after eating solids. I did give her avocado in the mesh bag the other night, and just like the banana, she kept it down. I'm sort of afraid of what the next round of tests are going to be; I'm pretty sure they will be much more invasive than the one this morning, so I'll be trying to figure out if we should just wait another month to see if she passes through this phase, or if we should keep going with the tests.

3 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Poor Claire. It is interesting that she kept down avocado which is pretty rich. Maybe the rice cereal is just nasty.

Katie said...

Hmmmm...maybe she just wasn't quite ready for solids yet. If everything looks normal, it seems that is all it must have been! I hope things improve for y'all!

Anonymous said...

I hope things work itself out and you don't have to put her through any more testing. That is always hard for everybody but I think it is harder on the moms. I cried when Nicholas got his two month shots! :) Hang in there!