Monday, June 29, 2009

Random thoughts, and Hallelujah!

We hosted a squadron farewell at our house on Friday night. After going to bed after midnight, and waking up to Luke yelling (not crying or screaming, yelling! Because he could!) at an earlier hour than I would have liked, I let Claire eat some brownie for breakfast. This morning, I asked her what she wanted for her first meal of the day and she said, "I want chocolate cake."

Luke started sleeping through the night sometime last week! I'm still waking him to feed him between 10-11pm before I go to bed, but he'll sleep straight through until about 7am now. At least I think he's sleeping straight through...with all the fans on, I did manage to sleep through a thunderstorm last week. I am so much more well-rested now. And yet still mysteriously exhausted. Maybe it's the whole 3 young children thing.

I had milk on my oatmeal yesterday and I think Luke tolerated it. He was a bit fussy, but nothing more than normal. I might try some cheese with dinner, or ice cream later tonight! Oooh, living dangerously.

Our dishwasher has been making a high-pitched whining sound for several months. Its one-year warranty is due to expire next week, so I had a repairman come out today to fix it and it wouldn't make the noise. The repairman left 30 minutes ago. The cycle is still running and the whine is back. Awesome.

Kate is getting excited about her birthday. She's a September baby, so she has a ways to go, but she doesn't understand the time thing very well yet. She does, however, know the months between now and then: "May, June, Goliath and then September!"

It's been sizzling outside for the past week (109* today), so we've been getting plenty of pool time. Claire knows that she must have one thing on before going outside: "sunscream".

I am at a loss for the whole bed wetting thing. Kate has been potty-trained for months now, but still wets the bed at night. She had several dry nights a couple of months ago, so I know it's possible for her to make it through the night without wetting the bed. We limit what she drinks at dinner, and even wake her up before we go to bed for one last trip to the bathroom. I was determined not to go back to diapers at night, because she gets lazy, and because I don't want to confuse her. But I am tired of washing sheets every single day! I am pretty sure kids are either bed wetters or they're not, but I don't know how to get beyond bed wetting. If you have ideas for me, please comment.

3 comments:

Andrea_Ben said...

Goliath - snicker, snicker :0)

Bed wetting - I got nothin'.

Squadron party - I wouldn't know what one of those is since we haven't had one since, oh, Christmas.

Katie said...

Oh dear lord. I feel ya on the sheets thing. I change Becca's sheets EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. (And occasionally in the middle of the night). But if I put her in a pullup then I have something more horrific to change in the morning. And sheets are less offensive than the alternative. I have taken to layering the bed with three layers of crib pad/sheet crib pad/sheet, etc so I can just rip one layer off. But, I have no idea what to do to prevent it. SUCKY!!!!

Elizabeth said...

More random thoughts:

(More) sleep!

Dairy!

"hosted a squadron farewell at our house" with three children under four, including a NEWBORN? I am filled with admiration.

Love Goliath. Where did that come from?