Saturday, July 21, 2007

Grosse Pointe Blank, Oregon-style

We came to Oregon for the month of July for 2 primary reasons:

1. Tim's dad's 60th birthday on the 4th, and
2. Tim's 20th high school reunion this weekend

Last night was dinner and drinks at Mac's, the local watering hole. Tonight is the formal dinner downtown at a hotel. We had fun last night. I wasn't sure how it would go; I had never met any of Tim's friends from high school, save Mary whom I met at our wedding. Tim's sister, Buji, who graduated 2 years behind Tim, also was there last night, so that meant I knew a grand total of 3 people. But as I sat thinking about it over blueberry pancakes this morning, I realized why I felt (and apparently) looked so much more comfortable amongst all the spouses: I have done this before. I have done this many times before. The military does it to you all the time: you go to events where your husband knows a lot of people and you know no one. So there I was, trying to talk to these wives of guys Tim had gone to school with, and they're giving me the "I don't know you and I don't want to be here so I'm not going to make eye contact with you" look. Thanks to Mary, Buji, Tim and a couple of other people there who were not afraid to talk to someone they didn't know, I had a pretty good time. Also, it was a night out at a bar with good beer, and my kids were at home with grandma and grandpa. I could have stayed out all night. Well, not really; I was yawning by 10pm, but that's beside the point.

So last night was fun, and tonight will be...well, I don't know. I kind of hope not all the fun was had last night. We shall see. In any event, I hope no one has to kill a blonde guy with a ball point pen.








12 comments:

Lucy said...

What an absolutely fabulous family picture!

Andrea and Ben said...

I love the pictures. You have a great looking family :0) Ahhh, strangers in a relatively strange place.....sounds familiar!!

Deborah said...

Wow, what great portraits, you guys! Where did you have them done? A-dorable! Loved your topic, too. :D

Jen said...

Picture People! They're the best.

Katie said...

Are you wearing burnt orange (go longhorns!) or is it just my screen?

LOVE the photos. I'm surpised those other wives wouldn't talk. Do they all still live in the same town and have the same friends since high school? Borrrrring. Glad you at least got out and had a decent time!

Katie said...

P.S. Where did you find matching clothes for the whole family?

Jen said...

My shirt is actually more of a dark red, but it's shiny, so it sometimes looks all kinds of colors. The girls' dresses came from Gymboree. LOVE.

Elizabeth said...

These are GREAT pictures! I loved them!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I think Claire looks like your sister.

dana:) said...

Great pictures, I'm glad you are having a good time, but I am ready for you to come home now- thanks!!!:)

Carrie S said...

The pictures are fantastic!! You all look sooo good! You look particularly amazing! The Picture People at the mall right by us just closed; I was quite sad! I can't wait to connect and talk - hopefully soon! Love Ya!

Fabiana, Rafaela e Marcelo Reis said...

Wonderful pictures and family...
I saw with Simone!!!
We love so much!!!
kisses