Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Old Man Winter

Rain on the driveway! Snow on Mt Lemmon! In November!



I'm not sure if this is going to be the best we get this winter, but I'm going to enjoy it like it is. Just in case. It's crazy windy out today; our vintage 1971 windows are whistling, and the bathroom fan vent keeps opening and closing. It's in the mid-50s today, but with the windchill, it feels more like somewhere in the 30s, which - trust me - when you're used to at least 75* is cold. I love it! Oh, and Mt Lemmon got its first dusting of snow! It looks awesome out my kitchen window. Time to warm up some hot cider and curl up with a good book.

Except I forgot. I'm a mom. I have a toddler who doesn't know that cold and windy days mean snuggling up by the fire and being lazy. Kate wants to get into everything, just like it's any other day. Plus, it's nearly Christmas and I haven't done all my shopping! I haven't baked a single Christmas cookie! I have wrapped a couple of gifts, but somehow my type-A personality forces me to forget all my accomplishments and focus on all that I have yet to do. And don't even get me started on all the baby stuff I haven't done. Gah!





I tried to appease Kate's sense of adventure by taking her to Wiggle Bells, her latest class offered by parks and rec here. The first class was actually last week, but it was the day before Thanksgiving, right before the squadron's Thanksgiving turkey-gorging event, and I think Kate actually slept through the beginning of class. So this week was our first. I was hoping it was somehow related to the holidays - I mean 'Wiggle Bells' does sound vaguely holidayish, right? - but it's not. It's just at a different location than Little Movers and Shakers and it's a shortened class in that it only goes for 4 weeks. Oh well, she loves the adventure of it all. Mats to climb on, bubbles, songs, balls, toys, a parachute - what could be better? After coming home and having grilled turkey, cream cheese and cranberry sandwiches, we bundled up and went back outside. Tim hung her swing in the backyard over the weekend, and she loves it. I push her back and forth, we listen for airplanes, and then I tickle her with my hands making airplane diving signs. She giggles and snorts (God, she got that trait from me afterall, poor kid). Her eyes light up: More, Mama! More! Adorable. This wears her out suitably so that she's ready for a nap, and I'm ready to come inside and warm up. Time for me to go get some of that stuff done while it's quiet.

No comments: