Thursday, November 30, 2006

Getting to Know You

Welcome to the 2006 Christmas Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends! You know the drill. Don't be a scrooge!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg Nog; I can drink hot chocolate any time of year. Unfortunately this year my egg nog will not be made with merry juice.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Um, hello. Isn't that part of the whole Christmas idea? Wrapping paper makes the season! Usually stocking stuffers are unwrapped, though.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I don't have a preference, but this year we have colored lights outside and will probably have colored lights on the tree. I don't know if we own any plain white lights right now.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I haven't found any in years. But Amy gave me this great gift many years ago: the famed Mistletoad. He gets hung with care every year. Sometimes we hang the Mistletoad Rules of Conduct next to him, but I think they need to be updated since Niki and I enacted them freshman year of college.

5. When do you put up your decorations? It depends on where we are living. Here in Arizona, you can't put a live tree up too early (see the pumpkin story) or it will dry out and is sure to catch on fire. I'm hoping we'll put the tree up within the next 2 weeks. Tim hung the lights on the house over Thanksgiving weekend, and we have some Christmas decorations up in the house.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Turkey and stuffing. Even though we have it the month before for Thanksgiving, it still rocks. I also love hot cider and egg nog.

7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child? So many memories, none of them so spectacular that it stands out. We went to the Nutcracker often when I was little, and although I liked the idea of going (maybe the getting dressed up part?), the ballet always put me to sleep. I remember going to the Domino's Christmas light show in Ann Arbor one year - that was pretty cool. It seemed that every year we saw our grandparents, though, and that was great.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I think around 3rd or 4th grade, probably from friends.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, one.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? First we hang the lights, Tim usually following behind me and attaching them to the branches properly. Then we hang the ornaments. We have all kinds - some from when I was little and made ornaments in grade school, some from Beijing, some from many of the places we've vacationed together. This year will be interesting; will we be able to hang ornaments below waist-level? I'm starting to wonder...

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it, probably because I've never lived anywhere where we've had a lot of it. Driving in it is no fun, but it sure is beautiful.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Thinking...thinking...last year Tim got me an MP3 player. That was cool. Oh yeah - he got me a pearl necklace a few years ago. Very cool.

14. What's the most important thing about Christmas for you? Spending time with family and friends.

15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert? Christmas sugar cookies and Tim's cranberry bread pudding.

16. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? I love decorating, and picking out the tree. And seeing Christmas lights around town. Making sugar cookies with my sister is also a hoot. Oh, and watching 'When Harry Met Sally' is a must. In my 20s I loved going to midnight mass. I don't think that is going to happen this year.

17. What tops your tree? Aaah, I'm not sure. I'll have to get out the ornament box to see if we have something.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I love giving gifts! And I love the surprise of receiving gifts.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Linus and Lucy (Guaraldi) and Sleigh Ride (performed by the Boston Pops).

20. Candy -Canes! Yuck or Yum? I don't generally eat them by themselves, but I bake with them!

3 comments:

Katie said...

1. Hot chocolate. Egg and Nog are two very gross sounding words that freak me out. It makes me think I'm drinking mayonnaise, so I don't really like it!

2. For us, anything from Santa was unwrapped... (otherwise, how do you make sure the kids don't see that you and Santa have the same wrapping paper?)

3. White lights. Have always loved them.

4. I have some fake plastic mistletoe that is attached to a rusting jingle bell. I hang it. It's classy. Shut up.

5. As soon as Thanksgiving is over! Although my family often waits until the last minute. Sometimes they don't even get a tree until Christmas Eve, then it stays up until Valentine's day.

6. Lately we've had a tamale tradition for Christmas breakfast. REALLY GOOD Texas tamales. We don't usually do turkey...usually a beef dish--prime rib or a crown rib roast or something. My mother in law's mashed potatoes (with lots of cream cheese) are awesome.

7. The christmas I got a bike and a doll house. Awesome year!

8. I found some presents while snooping in my mom's closet a few weeks before Christmas. Then, they showed up under the tree from Santa. I was probably in 3rd grade.

9.No presents opened on Xmas eve, although I plan to start the pajama tradition soon. Everyone gets new pajamas on Xmas eve.

10. Decorate the tree? Helter skelter. All kinds of ornaments from all over.

11. Snow--love it.

12. Ice skate: kinda sorta

13. okay...this is going on too long. I don't really eat candy canes, I just have a bow on top of our tree because I haven't found a topper I really love yet....and....I'm not typing anymore. I have a cramp! :)

Jen said...

2. Good point! I don't really remember how my parents did gifts from Santa when I was little. I'll have to think about this one for the kids.

5. I wish! Next assignment, next assignment.

6. Yum.

9. Great idea!

Andrea and Ben said...

I am going to steal this and put it on my blog :0)