Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Love and Hate

I know some women who love being pregnant. I am not one of them. I don't hate it (for the most part), but I certainly don't love it. I don't really get into the whole "I'm pregnant so I can eat whatever I want for 9 months" thing, so that takes some of the fun out of it. It also takes some of the pounds off my hips that would otherwise be larger than they should be. I gain enough weight as it is; if I ate the way some pregnant women eat, I would be gigantic.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude through this 3rd trimester, so I'm compiling lists. Love and Hate.

Love
  • my thick, shiny hair
  • feeling the baby kick
  • the nest I feel justified in building in bed every night
  • the thought of another amazing life that I'll be bringing into the world soon
  • ultrasounds
  • the 2nd trimester
  • my new long-sleeved maternity shirts and my brown cords
  • changing the kitty litter: Tim's job
  • people who lend a hand opening doors, carrying things, etc.
  • the nesting phase that has lasted probably a whole trimester this pregnancy (man am I getting a lot done!)

Hate

  • pants that fall down
  • not fitting in spaces that I think I can fit in
  • low back pain when waking up in the morning
  • not being able to put socks or shoes on without huffing and puffing
  • the nighttime stuffy nose that won't go away
  • the 1st and 3rd trimesters
  • having trouble rough-housing with Kate, picking her up, putting her in her crib, giving her a bath, cleaning up after her
  • not being able to exercise like a normal person
  • not being able to drink wine (last year was perfect: Kate was born before the holidays)
  • heartburn
  • support hose
  • my limited wardrobe, and especially the stupid black pants I bought at Motherhood that fall down ALL THE TIME. Hate.
  • people who ignore the fact that you are hugely pregnant and have a toddler and won't lend a helping hand opening doors, carrying things, etc.
  • getting cranky for no reason, knowing you are being totally unreasonable and not being able to control your outbursts (unless it is at the dumb credit card company that calls me every other night to offer a "new service". Then I love it.)
  • water retention in my face near the end of pregnancy
  • not being able to work in the yard or go hiking during this fabulous time of year

4 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know how you are doing it....with a toddler and being pregnant. My hat is off to you!

What progress have you made on the nusery? Is that part of the stuff you have accomplished?

Jen said...

It's not really that bad, I just have my 'days'. I guess I had one of them yesterday! Tim got into bed last night and asked if I had a hard day...and I'd forgotten all about it.

I did get Kate's new room painted. We'll order the crib soon, and that will pretty much finish her room, minus removing the guest bed.

Andrea and Ben said...

I like when people lay out pregnancy real matter of fact, it makes me less scared. Hey, random question, what's up with the labels? I have noticed them on everyone's posts. What am I missing?

Jen said...

Less scared, huh? That's good!

Labels: beta blogger. Katie talked me into it. So far it's great.