Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wait, where am I?

I think it's been raining since Sunday? Monday? I know it's only Wednesday (stop looking at me like that, PNW pioneers), but that's a lot of rain for Las Vegas; more than I can remember getting since we moved here. They say we are supposed to get 1-3" over the course of the week, as we are getting hit by the storms that are hammering California. When you consider we get an average of 4.5" per year, that's a lot of rain in one week. The weather report said we got almost 1/2" yesterday, setting a record.

This morning I looked outside my bedroom window and saw this:


What a view. I sort of forgot where I was for a minute. Mountains with snow, a giddy feeling at the sight of unexpected sun after a long period of rain...it was almost like being back in Seattle! Well, okay. Not really. Although I know it's going to rain again today enough to fill the greenbelt with a river of water, I have confidence we will see the sun before April.

I set my alarm this morning in a valiant effort to get us dressed and out the door before school actually started. It worked! I even showered before breakfast. Hey, that's something to be proud of around here. The girls were to school earlier than ever before. Of course, I was up until way too late last night getting prepped for this morning (coffee, breakfast dishes out and ready), but it's such a good feeling to have been on time to something.


The Sheep Mountains have snow. Baaa. Brrr.

3 comments:

Carrie S said...

Glad to catch up with you via the blog. I'm sorry I haven't checked it in the last couple of weeks. Still trying to catch up from the weeks and weeks of illness. I can't believe how big Luke is. I remember that with Jacob. Everyone comments on how big and round Sterling is, but I'm hoping she won't catch up. At 7 months she was exactly 17 lbs. and 26 in. Hope to talk to you voice to voice soon. Miss you. Love to all!
PS Would love to know where you're at with the kindergarten decision.

Katie said...

Wow! I love snow capped mountains....beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

I also love all the weird weather this winter, especially the RAIN, but I have become totally unaccustomed to all of the wind and COLD here. What has happened to me? I can no longer tolerate it. I am like a 70-year-old midwesterner.

Also, I totally know what you re: valient efforts! When I prep the night before, I am so happy in the morning, but I question whether it was worth the mere five hours of sleep I had the night before. Why do I only get things done around the house after 9pm? Ack!