Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mealtime staredown

I just finished downloading approximately 208 photos from my camera. It's been a long couple of weeks, and I clearly have not been keeping up with my technical obligations, to include (but not limited to): blogging, downloading photos, and email. I have also not finished writing thank you notes to all the wonderful people who sent gifts to Claire for her birthday. I am quite sorry about this last part; I do intend to write to all of you, hopefully soon.

Okay, so an update. I got antibiotics a couple of weeks ago, and took them faithfully. And then I started to get another infection. The doctor called me back before I had to go to the hospital again, thankfully, and prescribed me something stronger. It finally took care of the infection, but also wore me out dreadfully. I am just now starting to feel more like myself, and am trying to catch up on all the things I let slide in recent weeks.

We went back up to the mountain on Friday afternoon, the promise of nearly a foot of new snow incenting us to gather up our 400 items necessary for a hour spent in the white stuff. Claire cried this time again, but less so, likely because we let her wear her beloved princess pants instead of her snowsuit. On Kate and Tim's first trip down the hill on a REAL sledding device, they apparently tipped over, and Kate was disinclined to attempt further tobogganing.


Luke has found a new form of entertainment at meal time: dropping food off the side of his highchair. At some point during his meal, he will stare threateningly at you, and jut his hand out off the side of his tray, his eyes suggesting that he will indeed drop the bit of food in his hand, unless you...well, that's the part we're still trying to figure out. Everyone at the table says, "NO, Luke!" when he does it, and he stares tauntingly back at everyone. Then it's usually "bomb's away" as the food falls to the floor. Sometimes he'll put the food in his mouth and then everyone will clap. And then he'll take the food back OUT of his mouth, and the whole cycle starts again. It's very cute, but I'm starting to tire of the clean-up afterward.

Why he is willing to drop food off his tray is beyond me; the kid eats like he's a teenager, gobbling up nearly everything you put in front of him. Take, for instance, Valentine's day dinner. We took the kids to our local sushi restaurant, Luke in the stroller, Kate on her bike, and Claire walking and/or being carried by Tim. Luke ate what seemed to be 4 pounds of udon noodles, some coated in nori, a tempura shrimp and a tempura carrot, some abura age, half a bag of yogurt melts, and a cup of puffs. Although he wasn't playing his new game, a lot of food did end up on the floor, much to the dismay of the staff. At one point, our waitress asked me if I wanted a plate for him. Trust me, a plate would have been far worse. As a side note, Kate ate a bite of octopus sushi and LIKED it.


Oh yeah. I'll drop it. Watch me. What are you going to do to stop me? Hmmm?

We went bike riding over the weekend. Claire LOVES her new bike.


We also went swimming on Sunday and Monday. It was sunny and in the high 60s, so we took advantage. Luke thinks swimming is the BEST.


6 comments:

Carrie S said...

Swimming? In February? We do live in different worlds right, oh yeah, just different states. When I woke up yesterday it was ZERO and as of today the snowfall is up to about 14 inches! It is beautiful and at least this winter I own a massive 4x4 vehicle! Miss you. Glad you're feeling better and looking forward to catching up.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you were sick. I was hoping that your e-absence was due to your upcoming Michigan trip. Glad your better!
Niki

Tim said...

I'll add that "Swimming" = Hot tubbing, and that Luke LOVES playing in a 95 degree tub...which is almost like swimming.

Katie said...

Okay. The hot tub. That explains it. My eyes kept bugging out of my head as I tried to comprehend swimming when it is 60 degrees! Also mindblowing: 60 degrees. Nice.

I am feeling unsettled about my child's lack of bike experience. She is 4. Doesn't have one. Has never ridden one. Shit.

I can't believe what a time you've had with your infection. What is UP? I hope you improve fast and that it is the end of that!

Carrie S said...

PS I guess I'm behind the times because it didn't even register the first time that it was "Clarie's new bike". I'm assuming she got one for her birthday. Isaac also loves his. I'm sure he'll like it even more when he can ride it outside and not just around and around in the basement. Good call to get both the girls bikes!

Elizabeth said...

I am equally disturbed by the bike thing. Your kids swim AND bike?!?!?! My kids . . . eat paper and . . . color.

Wrong that you had snow and outdoor swimming in the very same post. Love that picture of Luke on the sled, though. He is so funny!