Monday, September 21, 2009

An interview with Kate


Ask her a question and she's likely to answer you in a long, rambling sentence, full of details, even if the details don't exactly pertain the question you asked her. She is full of energy, and loves to stay busy. She spends lots of time coloring, writing her name (and Claire's), and is even able to connect the dots in her workbooks. I don't know how high she can count, only because it's higher than anyone is usually willing to count with her. She makes up words and tells you that they mean something, when clearly they do not. Sadly, I am slowly losing my ability to distinguish her fake words from real ones, as she has learned several Chinese words from Ni Hao, Kai Lan, and I'm afraid I will falsely tell her something is not a word when it actually is. She has the memory of an elephant, and often recalls events that happened months ago (mostly things I had hoped that she would forget about).

On Saturday she looked at her half-assembled princess cupcakes and exclaimed, "What are tarNATIONS?!" Tim looked at her and laughed, and asked her where she learned that. "God and Jesus taught me." ?

At the mention of the state of Oklahoma, she will smile and gleefully yell, "OKLAHOMA! OKLAHOMA! OKLAHOMA!" and make her mama proud.

I recently sat down with her to discuss some of her favorites:

to drink: milk
food: peanut butter and honey sandwiches
snack: Nemo snacks (gummi)
cartoon: Max and Ruby and Go, Diego, Go!
movie: Wall-E and Sleeping Beauty
color: red, pink and purple
BFFs: Reese and Reagan
outfit: a dress. Any dress.
book: Sleeping Beauty
place to go: the Dinosaur park (any park, really)
flower: roses ("the red roses and yellow roses")
animal: "kitty cat Starbuck"
game: the fishing game
Do you like school? "Yes, because it's fun." So much for long answers.
What do you want be when you grow up? "A mommy, like you are, Mommy." [puffing up chest and sighing]

Kate loves to sing, especially the Sleeping Beauty song ("Once Upon a Dream") and the Ariel song ("aaah-aaaah-aaaaaaaah!"). I've noticed a new passion for her version of the Mickey Mouse song, which goes something like, "M-O-U-S-E-K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-E".

She's four years old today, and she is beginning to develop her own interests. She has some decided favorites, although she is easily influenced by her surroundings. For instance, when I first asked her what her favorite thing to eat was, she said, "cinnamon toast", mostly because she had just enjoyed a piece for breakfast.

The time has, as the cliche goes, flown by. I absolutely cannot believe my baby girl is four. I love you, Kate! Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kate! Uncle Bob will bring her something next time through Las Vegas.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, how I LOVED this. LOVED.

"God and Jesus taught me." That totally made me laugh.

I am a little sad because I think Catherine and Kate would be such good friends if we lived anywhere near each other. They certainly have the same interests.

Did you just die of happiness when she told you she wanted to be a mommy like you? That kid. Happy Birthday, Kate!