Friday, July 23, 2010

Signs That I am Losing My Mind

1. In a moment of weakness several weeks ago, I succumbed to Kate's fierce and persistent declarations that she wanted needed purple fairy curtains with a pink butterfly segment at the bottom. They are the ugliest curtains I have ever made. Note that they are not pictured here. Not only are they unsightly, but I have only completed one panel. And the curtain rod is still on Kate's floor. I am the queen of unfinished projects.

I also somehow ended up with fabric to make dresses for both girls.



2. Despite currently owning only a 2 person tent, I booked us (Tim, me, Kate, Claire, and Luke. At last check, this is 5 people) a campground at Lake Tahoe for Sunday night. We have never camped with children. Tim and I have not camped for approximately 10 years. The adults own proper camping gear, but the girls' sleeping bags have fairy and princess decorations and light up when the bags move. I am certain that they will be useless and ineffective in the much-cooler-than-we-are-used-to mountain air of the Sierra Nevadas. The boy one has no sleeping bag, and would be unlikely to nest in one if he did. I also fear that the boy one will be unlikely to sleep at all given the lack of containment device he knows as his crib.

3. We leave in 1.5 days. I have not packed more than shirts and shorts for myself, and have only managed to gather Kate's pajamas for the kids. We will be gone for 3 weeks, in weather that I presume will be vastly different than our current 110* highs/90* lows. We are all bound to be stunned by the cold that 55* mornings will bring.

4. I am blogging instead of packing.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Guess what I JUST found out! Outdoor Rec has entire camping KITS, complete with tents and sleeping bags.

Also, I am forwarding you a camping packing list a friend sent me that I have yet to put into use. I will wait and see what YOU learn and then maybe I'll think about it.

And you are not camping for three weeks, right? It's just a stop on the way to the Pac NW, right? Right???????

Jen said...

Right. Only 1 or 2 nights, depending on how the first night goes. Thank you in advance for the packing list! I will see if it will help.

joanna said...

I've found that using blankets works as well as the sleeping bags... if that helps with the packing in any way. And I was always worried about the lack of confinement in camping when the kids crib ages - can't wait to hear how it goes! I bet he's so worn out from the fun of it all that he sleeps great for you! (hope that didn't jinx it)

Anonymous said...

55 in the morning? That would be lovely, seems like it's been 55 for a high lately... Yay camping! I've beencamping with an infant, how can you not have had this experience? I hope it's much easier than you've imagined & that it leads to much more camping. Also hoping a tent is sufficient containment.
Niki